Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com> on 2003/09/19 05:52:29 UTC

java2wsdl - Using Interfaces?

Hi,

I would like to know why java2wsdl can't generate types from Java
interfaces. I've looked at the source code for java2wsdl
(org.apache.axis.wsdl.fromJava.Emitter, specifically).

Before I get too far into this class, I would like to ask the list if:
a) Is there a reason for preventing type definition generation for
interfaces?
b) Has anyone else recognized this as a problem and fixed it?
c) What would be a good way for me to fix this?

Assuming the worst case, that no-one responds to this message, my plan
is to instrument Emitter tomorrow and run it over some classes and
observe it's behavior.

Thanks for any and all help,
Josh

Re: java2wsdl - Using Interfaces?

Posted by Josh Rehman <jr...@citysearch.com>.
There is a note about this in fromJava/todo.txt "support exporting by
interface" with the response: seems like we have enough bells and
whistles here". Looks like Ravi Kumar and Rich thought this would be a
nicety, and decided not to do it.

I imagine they thought it was a nicety so that users could support a
subset of the exported API. But actually it is more than that - support
for this allows for RMI-like behaviour where you can, for example, use
exactly the same test on the client and server side, useful for
isolating various parts of your system.

One could also use it as a "poor man's code generator", generating
trivial beans from interface definitions; but this is a side-effect. :-)

I would still like to find out if I should bother implementing this, or
if the list thinks I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Josh