Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2003/06/10 21:21:33 UTC

Warning: database schema changes are a-comin'

I'm pushing hard towards getting the incompatible portions of the
fs-schema-changes branch ready for migration to the trunk.  Once this
is done, new Subversion binaries will not be able to read existing
repositories.  I'm sending out this warning a few days in advance so
that all you Subversion repos owners are aware -- you have an
'svnadmin dump/load' cycle in your near futures.

In order to reduce the pain a little, I would highly recommend that
you make static builds of 'svn', 'svnadmin', and 'svnlook' based on
the current codebase, and tuck those away so that when you upgrade
your working copies past the revision in which this merge-to-trunk
occurs, you'll already have the tools you need for dumping your
repositories.

Re: Warning: database schema changes are a-comin'

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

> Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za> writes:
>
> > > Bother.  I just get two instances of the All Perl Changes repository built
> > > and now I have to dump/load.  Hmmm, can't be helped, but I do have to find
> > > the ~3.5GB of space to store the dump. :(
> >
> > ummm... that's what pipes are for :)  All you need is space for two
> > repositories.  Not sure if that helps you though :)
> >
> > i.e.: svnadmin dump old | svnadmin load new
>
> Or, more precisely:
>
>    $ mv repos repos.tmp
>    $ svnadmin create repos
>    $ svnadmin-old dump repos.tmp | svnadmin load repos
>    $ # copy over any hook scripts and stuff from repos.tmp to repos

And make certain to update hook scripts, such as mailer.py, that use the
svn API.

Best,
Blair

--
Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>
Plots of your system's performance - http://www.orcaware.com/orca/

Re: Warning: database schema changes are a-comin'

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Or, more precisely:
>
>    $ mv repos repos.tmp
>    $ svnadmin create repos
>    $ svnadmin-old dump repos.tmp | svnadmin load repos
>    $ # copy over any hook scripts and stuff from repos.tmp to repos

Do I smell an addition to the FAQ page?  Or should that be on the inconveniences
page instead???

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Warning: database schema changes are a-comin'

Posted by cm...@collab.net.

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:06:23AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> >I'm sending out this warning a few days in advance so
> >that all you Subversion repos owners are aware -- you have an
> >'svnadmin dump/load' cycle in your near futures.
>
> Bother.  I just get two instances of the All Perl Changes repository built
> and now I have to dump/load.  Hmmm, can't be helped, but I do have to find
> the ~3.5GB of space to store the dump. :(

ummm... that's what pipes are for :)  All you need is space for two
repositories.  Not sure if that helps you though :)

i.e.: svnadmin dump old | svnadmin load new

> >In order to reduce the pain a little, I would highly recommend that
> >you make static builds of 'svn', 'svnadmin', and 'svnlook' based on
> >the current codebase,
>
> Is this still './configure --disable-shared' and then rename the
> executables before running configure again?  I don't see much more
> information in the list archive...

I seem to remember there was also some sort of --enable-all-static
option or something similar.  Haven't bothered to use either option yet,
though.

I've just looked at the output of configure --help:
[...]
  --enable-all-static     Build completely static (standalone) binaries.
[...]

So it looks like that's the one to use.

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com> writes:

> cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> > I'm sending out this warning a few days in advance so
> > that all you Subversion repos owners are aware -- you have an
> > 'svnadmin dump/load' cycle in your near futures.
>
> Bother.  I just get two instances of the All Perl Changes repository
> built and now I have to dump/load.  Hmmm, can't be helped, but I do
> have to find the ~3.5GB of space to store the dump. :(

Sorry 'bout that. :-(  But look on the bright side -- svnadmin dump is
now about 40% faster than it used to be!

> > In order to reduce the pain a little, I would highly recommend that
> > you make static builds of 'svn', 'svnadmin', and 'svnlook' based on
> > the current codebase,
>
> Is this still './configure --disable-shared' and then rename the
> executables before running configure again?  I don't see much more
> information in the list archive...

Yessir.

Re: Warning: database schema changes are a-comin'

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.