Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Vishal Tomar <vi...@gmail.com> on 2014/06/18 14:27:01 UTC

Help in developing a vertical search using nutch

Hi,

I am new to apache nutch and web crawlers in general, I am trying to build
a vertical search engine for real estate.

Now, How do I implement the crawler? Probably use Nutch for the crawling
and modify it to only extract links from a page if the page contents are
relevant to real estate. I'd probably need to write some kind of relevancy
scoring function which uses a mixture of keywords, ontology and some kind
of similarity detection based on sites I know to be relevant.

Now is there any way by which I can configure Nutch to use my relevancy
scoring function or do I need to change the source code, Also I would
prefer working in python over java as I am much more familiar with it, so
is there any library in python for nutch.

Apart from this I would really appreciate any more pointers regarding nutch
in general.

Thanks
Vishal

Re: Help in developing a vertical search using nutch

Posted by Nicholas Roberts <ni...@gmail.com>.
You might be interested in my www.bigdatadrupal.com

Posted by Guy McDowell <gu...@gmail.com>.
Hey Vishal,

I'm attempting to do a very similar thing, but not with real estate. I'm
only about one step ahead of you in this process though, so I can't offer
much help.

I think you are on the right path as far as having Nutch crawl only
websites related to real estate. A whole web crawl starting with seed URLs
outside of that vertical would probably be a waste of your time. Might as
well start with seeds in the vertical.

I think if you're using Nutch with Solr as the front-end search for your
users, Solr will rank your results based on relevancy of the keywords
entered in the search. I'm focusing on learning Nutch right now, so I'm not
certain of everything Solr does.

>From the research I've done, using Nutch 1.x is better than 2.x as it is
more stable and has more features. I could be wrong, but I think that's
worth double checking on.

I look forward to following your progress and learning from you. Hopefully
my progress will be able to help you as well.

Cheers!

Guy McDowell
guymcdowell@gmail.com
http://www.GuyMcDowell.com

Posted by Guy McDowell <gu...@gmail.com>.
Makes perfect sense and articulates very well what I was planning to do for
my vertical Nutch/Solr implementation.

Guy McDowell
guymcdowell@gmail.com
http://www.GuyMcDowell.com