Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn> on 2016/01/09 12:25:22 UTC

[discussion] remove qpid dependency from Trafodion

Hi, all,

To setup a build machine of Trafodion, one of the dependency package is qpid. From the instruction in wiki, to setup a development machine, following packages are required:
python-qpid python-qpid-qmf qpid-cpp-client qpid-cpp-client-devel qpid-cpp-client-ssl qpid-cpp-server qpid-cpp-server-ssl qpid-qmf qpid-tools
This is a long list, specifically, it needs special yum command to install one of the package above (since it only support at CentOS 6.3, an old version):
yum --enablerepo=C6.3-updates install qpid-cpp-client-devel
This does not seems very good.

However, in fact, Trafodion does not use qpid at present. It is a legacy dependency, so I would like to clean up the code that still referring to qpid functions and header files. So this will simplify both the setup of develop machine and also simplify the installation (no need to install above so many rpms).

I also feel it will help that we start to clean up any 'dead code' we can make sure is dead, not only qpid related code.

I have filed JIRA 1750 to track this. If no objection, I will work on this JIRA.
And if you think required, I can also file an umbrella JIRA to cover an overall effort to clean up legacy dead code in Trafodion.

Thanks,
Ming

RE: [discussion] remove qpid dependency from Trafodion

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,

Sorry, my mistake... I was thinking of protobufs... Getting rid of qpid
should be OK.

Dave

I'm wondering if anyone has plans to implement an EndPoint coprocessor.
For that we would need qpid.

Dave

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi,