Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by "Saltsgaver, Scott" <sc...@aiinet.com> on 2000/06/02 14:26:49 UTC

Compiling Xerces-C++ on HP-UX 10.20

I am having trouble compiling the Xerces C++ source on HP-UX 10.20.  I keep
getting an unsatisfied symbol: gRuntimeException_Name during the link phase
of the dummy executable and when my application starts up against the
generated shared library.

Here are the commands I ran to compile the source:
runConfigure -php-10 -xCC -ccc
make

Setup Info:
CC - HP C++ HPCPLUSPLUS A.10.27
cc - HP92453-01 G.10.32.05 HP C Compiler
OS - HP-UX B.10.20 A 9000/778
ld - 92453-07 B 10.20.28 971016

Now for the background information.

The application I am integrating Xerces with must be compiled on HP-UX 10.20
and ran on an HP-UX 11.00 box.  I first downloaded the Xerces distribution
with the 10.20 library already compiled, but when running the application I
get an unresolved symbol get_rlimit64 from libcma.1.  The application does
run on the 10.20 box which is was compiled on.  After a little looking I
realized that Xerces was compiled with application thread support.  Our
application does not have threads, therefore I downloaded the source and was
trying to compile it without application thread support.  But this is when I
run into the unresolved symbol: gRuntimeException_Name.

I see that gRuntimeException_Name is declared and defined in the
util/RuntimeException.hpp file.  I tried moving the definition to one of the
accompanying cpp files and placing extern in front of the declaration of
gRuntimeException_Name, but that didn't help.

Is this problem related to templates or the CC compiler, on HP-UX 10.20, or
am I missing a configuration parameter?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Scott Saltsgaver
Senior Software Engineer
Applied Innovation Inc.
scottsa@aiinet.com

Re: Compiling Xerces-C++ on HP-UX 10.20

Posted by Arundhati Bhowmick <ar...@hyperreal.org>.
Hope you've changed the makefiles to define APP_NO_THREADS and remove +z options
to execute as single threaded application. The global variables could be a
problem too. I've recently removed these global declarations. If you pick up the
latest drop hopefully it'll work.
Arundhati