Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by bongosdude <bo...@gmail.com> on 2008/12/15 22:22:06 UTC

EAR deployment failed with vague message.

I have problem to deploy EAR file to my 2.1.1 geronimo server (+ tomcat
plugin). I have followed most sample to make sure that my geronimo
installation works. How can I trace to see what I missed to include in my
EAR that causes this kind of problem. I suspect that a dedendent lib is
missing but I could not find out in geronimo.log what really causes this
failure.

Please help.

Distribution of module failed.  See log for details.
  Cannot deploy the requested application module because no deployer is able
to handle it.  This can happen if you have omitted the J2EE deployment
descriptor, disabled a deployer module, or if, for example, you are trying
to deploy an EJB module on a minimal Geronimo server that does not have EJB
support installed.
(moduleFile=/tmp/geronimo-deployer10217.tmpdir/nutalk-ear.zip)
  org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: Cannot deploy the
requested application module because no deployer is able to handle it.  This
can happen if you have omitted the J2EE deployment descriptor, disabled a
deployer module, or if, for example, you are trying to deploy an EJB module
on a minimal Geronimo server that does not have EJB support installed.
(moduleFile=/tmp/geronimo-deployer10217.tmpdir/nutalk-ear.zip)
  	at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:233)
  	at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:133)
  	at
  	at
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
  	at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.KernelGBean.invoke(KernelGBean.java:342)
  	at
  	at
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.ReflectionMethodInvoker.invoke(ReflectionMethodInvoker.java:34)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:124)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:867)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:239)
  	at
org.apache.geronimo.system.jmx.MBeanGBeanBridge.invoke(MBeanGBeanBridge.java:172)
  	at
com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.DynamicMetaDataImpl.invoke(DynamicMetaDataImpl.java:213)
  	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.MetaDataImpl.invoke(MetaDataImpl.java:220)
  	at
com.sun.jmx.interceptor.DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.invoke(DefaultMBeanServerInterceptor.java:815)
  	at com.sun.jmx.mbeanserver.JmxMBeanServer.invoke(JmxMBeanServer.java:784)
  	at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1410)
  	at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.access$100(RMIConnectionImpl.java:81)
  	at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl$PrivilegedOperation.run(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1247)
  	at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.doPrivilegedOperation(RMIConnectionImpl.java:1350)
  	at
javax.management.remote.rmi.RMIConnectionImpl.invoke(RMIConnectionImpl.java:784)
  	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor130.invoke(Unknown Source)
  	at
  	at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:294)
  	at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:149)
  	at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:466)
  	at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport$ConnectionHandler.run(TCPTransport.java:707)
  	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

-----
B Amigo:super:

Re: EAR deployment failed with vague message.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
I don't remember all the exact details but I think an ear file may
need to end in the ".ear" extension.  If you are using a javaee 5 ear
with no META-INF/application.xml I'm almost certain this is the
problem and suspect it to be the problem even if you do have an
application.xml

hope this is a helpful guess :-)
david jencks