Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by bwtaylor <br...@yahoo.com> on 2008/06/05 05:43:21 UTC

Setting stomp wire format parameters

The configuring-wire-formats page,
http://activemq.apache.org/configuring-wire-formats.html , implies that the
options shown apply only to the openwire wire format. I am having an issue
with stomp sockets not getting closed (which pile up until the OS limit is
hit and then the broker is unreachable, but doesn't crash). I want the
equivalent of maxInactivityDuration for stomp. Does this exist?

Re: Setting stomp wire format parameters

Posted by bwtaylor <br...@yahoo.com>.
I think this may be related to these bugs:
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1203 and
https://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/AMQ-1192 .

What Hiram Chirino describes is a dead ringer for my situation...
------ copy of Hiram's comments from AMQ-1192 ------------
I think this is due to the socket being killed but the server side not
noticing. But it will notice once it tries to send it a message, so the it
shutdown the dead socket and redelivers all messages queued for the client.
On some OSes the TCP timeout interval can be tweaked. Otherwise, keep alive
packets would need to be periodically transmitted in Stomp so that the
server could detect a dead client sooner. Keep alives have not been added to
Stomp yet.. but could be in a future version.

Re: Setting stomp wire format parameters

Posted by bwtaylor <br...@yahoo.com>.
I checked out AMQ-1739. I think my situation is different. My stomp sockets
all show as ESTABLISHED, not CLOSE_WAIT. The interesting thing is that the
message producer clients don't show the sockets as existing anymore. I think
what may be happening is that an intermediary firewall drops the connection
from its table after an inactivity timeout. Later, a clients try to send a
message and get a failure and closes the original socket, opening another.
On the activemq side, no traffic arrives again on the original socket and it
leaks. This happens about 25 times a day until I hit the ulimit is hit and
ActiveMQ won't accept new connections. (BTW, it seems a better behavior when
all sockets are full would be to close sockets from an LRU list.)

What's strange about this, is my linux kernel should be closing quiet
connections:

# sysctl -a | grep keepalive
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl = 75
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes = 9
net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time = 900

Which makes me think ActiveMQ somehow forces them to be kept open, as if
maxInactivityDuration is unlimited.

Posted by Rob Davies <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by bwtaylor <br...@yahoo.com>.