Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dave Charles <da...@gmx.co.uk> on 2002/02/13 01:00:29 UTC

Apache 1.3.23 on Win 98 SE Winsock error

Apologies to everyone for my earlier posting under an existing thread. It
was a genuine mistake. I have changed the subject line and am reposting
here.

I have a problem with apache 1.3.23 on Windows 98 SE. The install went fine,
and as far as I can tell I have the configuration right (have tried a number
of tweaks to get things to work). However, every time I try to strat the
server it immediately shuts down. On checking the error log, I see the
following:

[Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Created child process -201057
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Duplicating socket 80 and sending
it to child process -201057
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] BytesRead = 372 WSAProtocolInfo = 020
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [crit] (10091)(FormatMessage failed with code
317): setup_inherited_listeners: WSASocket failed to open the inherited
socket.
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] master_main: Shutdown event signaled.
Shutting the server down.
[Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] removed PID file c:/program files/apache
group/apache/logs/httpd.pid (pid=-416861)

Does anyone have any ideas as to why the socket cannot be opened?

I have tried everything I can think of. I've made sure I have no firewalls
running, no other services, I've tried using different port numbers, binding
to just localhost, then to just 127.0.0.1 - every time exactly the same
error. I can find no trace of this message on the MS site, although there is
mention of a windows bug which causes an inherited socket to be unavailable
if the parent process is killed. I would have thought, however, that if this
is the problem Apache would not run on Win98 for anyone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Dave Charles

Posted by Owen Boyle <ob...@bourse.ch>.
Dave Charles wrote:

> Apologies to everyone for my earlier posting under an existing thread. It
> was a genuine mistake. I have changed the subject line and am reposting
> here.
>
> I have a problem with apache 1.3.23 on Windows 98 SE. The install went fine,
> and as far as I can tell I have the configuration right (have tried a number
> of tweaks to get things to work). However, every time I try to strat the
> server it immediately shuts down. On checking the error log, I see the
> following:
>
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Created child process -201057
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:37 2002] [info] Parent: Duplicating socket 80 and sending
> it to child process -201057
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] BytesRead = 372 WSAProtocolInfo = 020
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [crit] (10091)(FormatMessage failed with code
> 317): setup_inherited_listeners: WSASocket failed to open the inherited
> socket.
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] master_main: Shutdown event signaled.
> Shutting the server down.
> [Tue Feb 12 01:03:38 2002] [info] removed PID file c:/program files/apache
> group/apache/logs/httpd.pid (pid=-416861)
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to why the socket cannot be opened?
>
> I have tried everything I can think of. I've made sure I have no firewalls
> running, no other services, I've tried using different port numbers, binding
> to just localhost, then to just 127.0.0.1 - every time exactly the same
> error. I can find no trace of this message on the MS site, although there is
> mention of a windows bug which causes an inherited socket to be unavailable
> if the parent process is killed. I would have thought, however, that if this
> is the problem Apache would not run on Win98 for anyone.

I'm no win98 expert but if it's just a "cannot bind to socket" problem
then that could be because the port is blocked by a zombie process
(reboot to fix) or the user starting apache doesn't have the privilege
to bind to that port (on unix, normal users can't bind to ports below
1024). Try running apache on port 8000, as a test.

Other than that, if it's to do with inheritence across the fork then I'd
bow out...

Rgds,

Owen Boyle.