Posted to women@apache.org by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com> on 2005/08/15 00:31:05 UTC

Charter for Apache women list: women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org

There was a ton of email last week on women@ and out of it comes a
strong sense that two lists are needed: one for operational discussions
and a second mail list for strategic discussions.

This email thread kicks off a discussion focused on the strategic list,
which I've given a placeholder name of
women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org list.

I have the least handle on the strategic list because my primary itch is
operational. So, it needs more development by those with that specific
itch. I'm happy to participate in the discussion, but won't attempt to
drive it other than to kickstart this thread.

women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org

This is the strategic list intended for discussing how to get more women
active.

Goals:
1. Discuss ways to make Apache more conducive to women.
2. Identify what needs to be done and how to do it.
3. Ascertain what AFS's official position and programs are in support
    of a recruitment/enlightenment effort.
4. The list is private.

Subscriptions:
1. Only committers and members may subscribe; others by invitation
2. Subscriptions are moderated until the list decides otherwise

Mail list description:
ASF a more conducive place for women to participate.  The primary focus
is strategic: determining what needs to be done and deciding what
programs should be put into place to achieve it. This list is open to
committers and by invitation to others.

As I stated above, this needs more development.

  -jean

Re: Charter for Apache women list: women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David Crossley wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>>There was a ton of email last week on women@ and out of it comes a
>>strong sense that two lists are needed: one for operational discussions
>>and a second mail list for strategic discussions.
>>
>>This email thread kicks off a discussion focused on the strategic list,
>>which I've given a placeholder name of
>>women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org list.
>>
>>I have the least handle on the strategic list because my primary itch is
>>operational. So, it needs more development by those with that specific
>>itch. I'm happy to participate in the discussion, but won't attempt to
>>drive it other than to kickstart this thread.
>

> I don't see the need for this second list.
> These topics can be discussed on the other list.

I'm seeing that others want to separate operational and strategic
discussions.

As I mentioned above, I'm happy to participate but not drive this list,
so those who care the most should feel free to jump in and drive a
women-{strategic_name_tbd}@apache.org list forward.

> I want to get away from private discussions
> unless they are absolutely necessary.

I think "private" is my misunderstanding. I've gone back through the
posts and what I see is a desire to restrict subscriptions to
committers/members. I suspect I incorrectly read "private" into that.
So, given that, I'd zap this goal:

 >>4. The list is private.

regards,

  -jean