Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com> on 2009/12/03 15:35:38 UTC

[users@httpd] writing modules?

Morning,

I would like to make my own apache module (in C) for Linux but have no
idea where to start. Any guides on doing this?

Thanks!
Zach

Re: [users@httpd] writing modules?

Posted by Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jeff will do.

Posted by Jeff Trawick <tr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks everyone! Yes for Apache 2.x

Don't forget the modules in the source distribution, particularly the examples.

httpd 2.2.x has modules/experimental/mod_example.  httpd trunk/2.3.x,
for future httpd 2.4, has improvements in modules/examples/mod*.c, but
some use APIs that don't work in httpd 2.2.x.

One way to use the large set of modules in the source distribution is
when some httpd (ap_) or APR function looks like it may solve a
problem; search for the uses of that function throughout the source.

Re: [users@httpd] writing modules?

Posted by Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Zachary Uram <ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Morning,
>
> I would like to make my own apache module (in C) for Linux but have no
> idea where to start. Any guides on doing this?
>
> Thanks!
> Zach

I'd read some books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Modules-Book-Application-Development/dp/0132409674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259852319&sr=8-1

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Writing-Apache-Modules-Perl-Customizing/dp/156592567X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259852319&sr=8-2

if you still use apache 1.3.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Apache-Definitive-Guide-Ben-Laurie/dp/0596002033/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259852319&sr=8-6
is ok, but doesn't really go in-depth about module development.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] writing modules?

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
The o'Rieley  book I had in mind is by MacEchren (?) and Stein...and it is
with Perl and C...

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com> wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2009, at 09:56 , John Hudak wrote:
>
> I assume you are developing for Apache 2?
> You might want to do some searching and reading on Apache modules API:
> http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Apache-Overview-HOWTO-12.html
> http://modules.apache.org/doc/Intro_API_Prog.html
>
> As well as other 'house keeping' activities that must be done:
> http://threebit.net/tutorials/apache2_modules/tut1/tutorial1.html
>
> O'Reiley has some pretty good books detailing the process....
>
> No, O'Reilly doesn't have any books on the subject at all. The only book on
> the subject is Nick Kew's book.
> If you're referring to the Eagle book, please note that it's ten years old
> and focuses primarily on Perl. It was a good book at the time, but is now
> mostly a bookend. At 700 pages, it plays that role effectively and
> attractively.

Harsh, thats one of my favourite books :/

The Apaloosa book (Apache : The definitive guide) has 2 chapters on
2.x module development and API, numbering ~ 100 pages, which isn't
much more than the Eagle had - like you said, mostly perl.

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] writing modules?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Posted by John Hudak <jj...@gmail.com>.
I assume you are developing for Apache 2?
You might want to do some searching and reading on Apache modules API:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Apache-Overview-HOWTO-12.html
http://modules.apache.org/doc/Intro_API_Prog.html

As well as other 'house keeping' activities that must be done:
http://threebit.net/tutorials/apache2_modules/tut1/tutorial1.html

O'Reiley has some pretty good books detailing the process....

-John