Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Tim Colson (tcolson)" <tc...@cisco.com> on 2005/09/13 07:44:55 UTC

Jira maintenance

Hey gang -

So the Jira instance now has Velocity bugs in it... but it looks like
there needs to be some cleanup done. I can work on that, but want to run
stuff by here.

I asked Infra how we would request turning off Bugzilla (I didn't ask
them to turn it off, just "how".) I assume we'll want to direct people
to 'one' place for issue tracking, and that Jira will be that place very
very soon.

Hey Shinobu -- Jeff said you need to sign up for a jira account...but,
uh, I see an account in Jira, so maybe you already created it. At any
rate, I added you to the velocity-developers group.

Versions -- man, there are a lot of them. Most need to be marked as
"released", some archived, others perhaps deleted (1.0b1, 1.0b2, 1.0b3
-- a quick search, none of them seem to be associated with issues).

I assume we'll want to have 1.5 as unreleased and <1.5 marked as
released. I suggest we stick 1.6 and 2.0 in the list as well, so we can
"schedule" bugs/features/improvements for those versions and that way
the "roadmap" will be clearer for what's on tap for 1.5, 1.6 and beyond.

There are a ton of "resolved" but not "closed" issues... I'll start
looking at those too so we can get things a bit cleaned up.

Velocity Tools --> I think we should create a separate project like Jeff
suggested for "VELTOOLS" and move relevant issues over because the two
projects have separate release schedules and versions.

Cheers,
Timo

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
just to clarify, i believe Will was referring to all *resolved* bugs
for 1.4 and earlier.  the matter of resolved bugs is the context of
the larger conversation

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
> i could be ok with closing resolved bugs for 1.3 once 1.5 work starts.

Hasn't 1.5 work already started?  Everything that's been done since the 1.4
release is 1.5 work.  I see 31 bullets in the changelog for post 1.4 work.
Of course, it's been sporadic so maybe it isn't visible.

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta/velocity/core/trunk/xdocs/docs/changes.xml?view=markup

WILL

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 9/13/05, Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> wrote:
> I like Mike's idea "mark bugs closed when they're fixed in a public
> release".  Seems less arbitary then close after X public releases.  A
> release should mean that all enhancements are correct and all bugs are
> really fixed.  Otherwise - why release?
>
> The process becomes
> -> "Reporter" creates issue with bug report
> -> "Contributor" marks ASSIGNED, uploads patch
> -> "Committer" commits patch to source code and marks RESOLVED
> -> As part of the release process, all bugs marked with the release version
> number must move to CLOSED.
>
> The last bullet implies that the committer(s) do a review of all bugs and
> make sure they are really resolved.  To be safe, the bugs should be closed
> when the release goes "gold".  In other words, first release "1.5rc1", then
> if necessary release "1.5rc2".  If that release holds water, mark all bugs
> as closed and go to "1.5".
>
> Comments?

works for me.  i suppose it's not that big a deal to give reporters
that much time to check up on their bugs once resolved.

Re: Jira maintenance

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira maintenance

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jira maintenance

Re: Jira maintenance

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On 9/12/05, Tim Colson (tcolson) <tc...@cisco.com> wrote:
> Hey gang -
>
> So the Jira instance now has Velocity bugs in it... but it looks like
> there needs to be some cleanup done. I can work on that, but want to run
> stuff by here.

cool!  thanks, Tim!

> I asked Infra how we would request turning off Bugzilla (I didn't ask
> them to turn it off, just "how".) I assume we'll want to direct people
> to 'one' place for issue tracking, and that Jira will be that place very
> very soon.

what does "off" mean?  does it mean that all the velocity stuff in
bugzilla disappears?  or just that it becomes read-only?  i would
prefer the latter.  otherwise links to old bugs in mail archives will
be broken.  i don't want new data going into bugzilla, but it'd be
nice if old data was still easy to find.   of course, it'd be nicer
still to have a sign posted where the old data used to be that tells
where it has been moved to.  what's possible here?

> Hey Shinobu -- Jeff said you need to sign up for a jira account...but,
> uh, I see an account in Jira, so maybe you already created it. At any
> rate, I added you to the velocity-developers group.
>
> Versions -- man, there are a lot of them. Most need to be marked as
> "released", some archived, others perhaps deleted (1.0b1, 1.0b2, 1.0b3
> -- a quick search, none of them seem to be associated with issues).
>
> I assume we'll want to have 1.5 as unreleased and <1.5 marked as
> released. I suggest we stick 1.6 and 2.0 in the list as well, so we can
> "schedule" bugs/features/improvements for those versions and that way
> the "roadmap" will be clearer for what's on tap for 1.5, 1.6 and beyond.

+1

> There are a ton of "resolved" but not "closed" issues... I'll start
> looking at those too so we can get things a bit cleaned up.
>
> Velocity Tools --> I think we should create a separate project like Jeff
> suggested for "VELTOOLS" and move relevant issues over because the two
> projects have separate release schedules and versions.

+1  will dvsl get its own project too?