Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Boris Mazniker <bm...@yahoo.com> on 2008/02/29 01:06:39 UTC

prefetchSize keeps growing

Hi,

We have a situation with a slow consumer and a fast producer for non-durable
topic. I'm running a test when the producer sends more messages than the
consumer can consume. I want extra messages to be discarded, so I set up
pendingMessageLimitStrategy (limit set to 10) and prefetchPolicy on the
consumer with prefetch set to 10. When I run the test, I see that
prefetchSize on the JMX MBean starts with 10, but keeps growing, and the
discarded number is much smaller than it should be if the prefetch size
stayed at 10. After some time it ends with the subscriber running out of
memory.
I'm not sure why prefetch policy is not working as documented and is not
limiting the number of messages on the client's side. How can I limit the
number of messages on the client side and discard the rest?
I'm using Active MQ 5.0.

Thanks,
Boris.