Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Jim Janson <jj...@adelphia.net> on 2003/05/02 21:10:46 UTC

Store mail in Maildir repository from Mailet

Hi,

We currently have a SqWebMail/qmail system to provide
web based mail for our users.  All mail is accessed using
SqWebMail, i.e.  no POP3 access.  We would like to
move to using James as our mail server primarily for the Mailet
support.   There are some mail processing things we'd like
to do and the Mailet API is a great match.

We have invested some effort into customizing/branding
the SqWebMail interface and would prefer not to have to
replace it in the short term.  Eventually, we'll probably replace
it with an IMP based solution.  The problem is that SqWebMail
only deals with getting mail from Maildir mailboxes and James
does not currently support this storage format.  I know that
James is looking at using JavaMail for it's mail repository in
the V3 timeframe but my needs are more immediate; say 1-2
months.

It occurred to me that I might be able to write a Mailet that
will take local mail and, using JavaMaildir, write the mail into
the appropriate Maildir mailbox.  With the mail in the Maildir
mailboxes, SqWebMail users can access it as before.

So, I have a couple questions on this approach.  I know it
seems a little quirky but given the contraints, does it make
sense?  Has anyone done anything like this before?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Store mail in Maildir repository from Mailet

Posted by Jim Janson <jj...@adelphia.net>.
Jerome,

Thanks for the suggestion.

I think it is possible to handle this with a cron job but I think that
solution has a couple drawabacks.  It would introduce a lag from
mail delivery until it is put into maildir format.  It also would be
much more resource intensive since the mail would be stored
twice; once in FileStreamStore file and then in maildir file.  After
conversion the FileStreamStore file would have to be deleted.

Jim

Posted by "Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf)" <la...@frisurf.no>.

--
Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) <la...@frisurf.no>