Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Keith Bottner <ke...@bottner.net> on 2007/01/03 01:21:16 UTC

Manager deployment for ROOT.war not working properly.

I am documentation and Googled out. I am attempting to use the Tomcat
Manager so that I can script deployment to a Farm of servers. I soon found
out that deploying a ROOT web application does not work.

# curl -u manager:passsword -T /home/manager/ROOT.war
http://10.0.0.2/manager/deploy?path=/

It always deploys the application as /ROOT.war

Now this works perfectly if I do it from http://10.0.0.2/manager/html and
use the Web interface to upload the ROOT.war. It deploys to / with no
problems. But if I use the non HTML version it will not deploy to /
properly.

FYI
- I use this same technique on NON root based web applications with no
problems, works like a charm.
- The context.xml file in the WAR file is correct.
- Yes I tried renaming the file to .war as a hack to get around the problem
and that did not work, it deployed to .war.war
- Yes I tried leaving the path attribute as blank (like part of the
documentation suggests) and it returns an error "FAIL - Invalid context path
was specified" even though the documentation explicitly says to leave it
blank when deploying the root web application.

I do believe that this is a legitimate bug but I need some way to workaround
the issue since I can't wait to solve this until the next version of Tomcat
is released.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Keith

Re: Manager deployment for ROOT.war not working properly.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
En l'instant précis du 01/03/07 01:21, Keith Bottner s'exprimait dans
toute sa noblesse:

> Now this works perfectly if I do it from http://10.0.0.2/manager/html and
> use the Web interface to upload the ROOT.war. It deploys to / with no
> problems. But if I use the non HTML version it will not deploy to /
> properly.

You can use curl to simulate the submission of manager upload form. See
curl -D (--form) for details on how to POST multipart form (mandatory
for uploads), and go to manager html source file to see what are form datas.

untested suggestion:
curl -u manager:passsword -F "file=@/home/manager/ROOT.war"
http://10.0.0.2/manager/html/upload

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Keith Bottner wrote:
> I do believe that this is a legitimate bug but I need some way to workaround
> the issue since I can't wait to solve this until the next version of Tomcat
> is released.

It is worth entering this in Bugzilla, along with any work-around, so
it gets looked at.

Mark