Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Marco PODDA <mp...@hotmail.com> on 2010/01/04 21:05:47 UTC

Documents translation contribute

Hi,

I'm Italian and I'd like to contribute to the Apache HTTP server documents transaltion in Italian language.
>From where I have to start?

Thankyou in advance for your reply.

Marco Podda
Scopri tuttele novità di Internet Explorer 8
http://www.microsoft.com/italy/windows/internet-explorer/msn.aspx

Re: Documents translation contribute

Posted by Joseph Pecoraro <jo...@gmail.com>.
> Most likely, I forgot to say that I work on MS Win Platform.
> So I don't know what about svn: is that a linux command line executable?
> Can I contribute working on a MS Win platform?

SVN, or "Subversion" is one of many version control systems. Its useful
for teams to have a central "repository" they can cooperatively
contribute to. It stores all previous revisions (versions) of files,
allows you to see individual changes, allows you to merge your changes
with a newer version (if someone else updated), and more.

Git is a slightly different version control system that focuses on
being distributed instead of centralized. I haven't checked the status
of git on Windows recently, but for a while it was iffy. Maybe someone
else can comment on this.

Apache has some information on Subversion here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/version-control.html

Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)

I haven't used Windows in a while, but a very simple, newbie friendly
interface was Tortoise SVN. It is an extension for Windows Explorer:
http://tortoisesvn.net/

- Joseph Pecoraro

RE: Documents translation contribute

Posted by Marco PODDA <mp...@hotmail.com>.
Thanks to Vincent and Bruno for the reply.

Most likely, I forgot to say that I work on MS Win Platform.

So I don't know what about svn: is that a linux command line executable?

Can I contribute working on a MS Win platform?

Thank you in advance for the reply.

Marco

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Vincent Bray <no...@gmail.com>.
2010/1/4 Marco PODDA <mp...@hotmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm Italian and I'd like to contribute to the Apache HTTP server documents
> transaltion in Italian language.
> From where I have to start?

Hello Marco,

Welcome to the list. There are some instructions [1] but they're
somewhat out of date:

Basically, it's a pretty simple process. Check out the httpd source
tree from svn [2] and also grab the documentation build toolchain
which is hosted at another path [3]. In order for a docs patch to be
committed it must be reviewed by another native speaker. If you don't
know of anyone to fulfill that role, send a note to this list and see
if anyone can help.

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/translations.html
[2] http://httpd.apache.org/dev/devnotes.html
[3] http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/docsformat.html

To the other translators on the list.. Could someone please have a go
at updating [1] and [3] above? There are still references to CVS and
this statement is completely wrong:

>> We also encourage you to place the name of the translator in a comment at the top of the file, along with the CVS revision number of the English-language document that you are translating. This should make it easier to determine when files need updating.

I'd do it myself, but I'm not familiar with the translation process. Thanks.

--
noodl