Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Diego <di...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/13 09:43:34 UTC

Event bubbling in IE doesn't work

Hello,

I want to use event bubbling  to find out what checkbox is click with an
Ajax call.
To do this I attach the EventListener to a div surrounding the checkboxes.
This works in firefox, the id of the checkbox is returned. But in IE the id
of the surrounding div is returned.

Is there a way to get the id of the clicked checkbox?

Regards,
Diego

Re: Event bubbling in IE doesn't work

Posted by Diego <di...@gmail.com>.
On 4/13/07, Kristian Marinkovic <kr...@porsche.co.at> wrote:

> ... maybe ff and ie handle this scenario differently... i'll test it
> and report my results on monday :)
>
> another solution would be to have a small script in place (onclick)
> that checks the incoming events on the div node and triggers the
> eventlistener (script) method only if it could determine it really
> originates from the checkbox... thats what i do for my bubbling events :)
>
> g,
> kris

That last tip was very usefull, got it to now to work.

On 4/14/07, Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com> wrote:I'm shocked to hear
that ie isn't behaving as expected! ;)

http://www.quirksmode.org/js

> /introevents.html

Don't worry they brought us IE7 now, so 'all' our problems are fixed now ...

Re: Event bubbling in IE doesn't work

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

--
Jesse Kuhnert
Tapestry/Dojo team member/developer

Antwort: Event bubbling in IE doesn't work

Posted by Kristian Marinkovic <kr...@porsche.co.at>.
hi diego,

the EventListener is transfering the id of the surrounding div
because the event does not reference the checkbox directly.
it could be that the user clicked on a label element with a for
attribute... technically the label element would trigger the event
and not the checkbox thus referencing the dom node of the label.
.. or maybe there is a node between <input> and </input>

... maybe ff and ie handle this scenario differently... i'll test it
and report my results on monday :)

another solution would be to have a small script in place (onclick)
that checks the incoming events on the div node and triggers the
eventlistener (script) method only if it could determine it really
originates from the checkbox... thats what i do for my bubbling events :)

g,
kris

Diego <di...@gmail.com>
13.04.2007 09:43