Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> on 2005/12/06 00:35:38 UTC

[VOTE] Struts Shale 1.0.0 Quality

After completing the required steps in the Struts Shale 1.0.0 release plan:

  http://wiki.apache.org/struts/ShaleRelease100

and after a positive vote affirming the plan itself (11 +1s, including 6
from PMC members), I have built, tagged, and deployed the Struts Shale
1.0.0build.  It is available at:

  http://svn.apache.org/dist/struts/shale/v1.0.0/

including signatures (to be verified against <
http://www.apache.org/dist/struts/KEYS>) and md5 checksums.

Once you have had a chance to assess to quality of this build, please
respond with a vote on the quality:

[ ] Alpha
[ ] Beta
[ ] General Availability (GA)

Only the votes of Struts PMC members are binding, however we value the
opinions of the Struts community and welcome non PMC member votes.

My vote is for Alpha quality, for two reasons:

* Dependence on an unreleased component snapshot (Standalone Tiles)

* Initial release of Shale, which needs more exposure and testing
  before we firmly commit to the APIs and functionality.

* Incomplete unit test suites.

I expect to see several additional test builds of Shale released (adding
functionality, fixing bugs, and improving documentation and tests) before a
build gets proposed for beta or GA quality.

Craig McClanahan

Re: [VOTE] Struts Shale 1.0.0 Quality

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 12/5/05, Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> Once you have had a chance to assess to quality of this build, please
> respond with a vote on the quality:

The core-library API docs are missing from the 1.0.0 build.  Other
than that, I don't see anything that hasn't already been reported.

--
Wendy

Re: [VOTE] Struts Shale 1.0.0 Quality

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
Me neither. Now it's a mad dash to followup on things from last week :)

But, I'm definately looking forward to putting this distribution
through its paces.

-Ted.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Logon Dialog
>
> * After clicking into the logon dialog accidentally and pressing back
> to return to the menu without logging in, an HTTP Status 500 error is
> exposed, compelling a restart of the application.
>
> --
>
> javax.servlet.ServletException: Position[dialogName=Log
> On,stateName=Logon Form],outcome=locale$select
>         javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:121)
>         org.apache.shale.faces.ShaleApplicationFilter.doFilter(ShaleApplicationFilter.java:285)

Ted,

This is a known issue.  Thanks for your thorough review!

sean

Re: [VOTE] Struts Shale 1.0.0 Quality

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
+1 Alpha.

Here are some notes from a cursory review of the Use Cases application.

JNDI Access Via Expressions

Nominal.

====

Select Language

These behaviors may be nominal (or not)

* The German message bundle is incomplete
* The Spanish use case changes the tattle to "Locale:es" but doesn't
display alternate phrases

====

Logon Dialog

* After clicking into the logon dialog accidentally and pressing back
to return to the menu without logging in, an HTTP Status 500 error is
exposed, compelling a restart of the application.

--

javax.servlet.ServletException: Position[dialogName=Log
On,stateName=Logon Form],outcome=locale$select
	javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:121)
	org.apache.shale.faces.ShaleApplicationFilter.doFilter(ShaleApplicationFilter.java:285)

--

Pressing Cancel instead of "Back" does allow the use case to exit normally.

---

* When creating an account, the first and second page displays a
"Finish" button. If you "finish" from screen 1, the use case exits
nominally. If you "Next" to screen 2, you must complete the screen,
that you could otherwise bypass from screen 1. Previous doesn't help.
The same is true of editing. Not so much a defect as an "unexpected
feature" :)

Otherwise: Nominal.

====

Subview processing

* After pressing Continue twice to "Gamma", the Continue button
persists but is non-operative. On the second and third screens, the
Finish button exits normally.

====

Remoting Support

Appears nominal.