Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Michael Diener <mi...@synchronica.com> on 2004/10/27 09:41:05 UTC

Apache2 + mod_jk2 on FreeBSD - default socket timeout (bug?)

Hi there,

I've got a problem with mod_jk2 and Apache2 under FreeBSD 5.x and I think it
is a bug. I configured mod_jk2 for two Tomcat 5.0 servers. If one of these
machines is down (unplugging the network cable), mod_jk2 should send all
requests to the server that kept running. That is working 90 percent of the
time, but sometimes forwarding the request takes about 75 seconds. I found
out that this is the default socket timeout of FreeBSD. The problem is that
I configured mod-jk2 the way, that it has its own timeout for connecting
(see attached workers2.properties). But this value is not recognized. If I
decrease the default connect timeout for FreeBSD (by /etc/sysctl.conf),
mod_jk2 will use this value and everything is fine. But I don't want to
decrease that value, it could cause other problems.
So I think it is a bug, that mod_jk2 is not using the timeout values from
its workers2.properties in FreeBSD.
Btw exactly the same setup for Apache2 and mod_jk2 works fine on Linux.

Regards,
Michael

------------------------------

[logger]
level=DEBUG

[shm]
file=/tmp/shmFile

# Defines a load balancer named lb.
[lb:lb]

[workerEnv:]
info=Global server options
timing=1

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:192.168.1.124:8009]
tomcatId=camenzind
timeout=1

# Example socket channel, override port and host.
[channel.socket:192.168.1.123:8009]
tomcatId=haller
timeout=1

# define the worker 1
[ajp13:192.168.1.124:8009]
channel=channel.socket:192.168.1.124:8009

# define the worker 2
[ajp13:192.168.1.123:8009]
channel=channel.socket:192.168.1.123:8009

# Mapping my URI to Tomcats
[uri:/myURI*]
group=lb

[status:]
info=Status worker, displays runtime information

[uri:/jkstatus/*]
info=The Tomcat /jkstatus handler
group=status: