Posted to dev@wookie.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2009/08/20 00:13:58 UTC

Quickstart development environment

I finally got around to downloading the sources for Wookie. My
conclusion is that it is too difficult to create a simple testing
environment. That is, we don't realy want potential developers to have
to jump through so many hoops to just try it out. I've not actually
got it running for this reason - not that it is hard, but because I
don't want to install mysql and tomcat, I just want to download and
run "ant run".

Since MySQL needs to be removed anyway I propose:

a) replace MySQL with Apache Derby in the default setup
b) bundle Jetty in the download
c) create new ant tasks for setting up a simple demo/development/test
environment

Any problems with this approach?

Ross

--
Ross Gardler

OSS Watch - supporting open source in education and research
http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk

Re: Quickstart development environment

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
Ross Gardler wrote:
> I finally got around to downloading the sources for Wookie. My
> conclusion is that it is too difficult to create a simple testing
> environment. That is, we don't realy want potential developers to have
> to jump through so many hoops to just try it out. I've not actually
> got it running for this reason - not that it is hard, but because I
> don't want to install mysql and tomcat, I just want to download and
> run "ant run".
>
> Since MySQL needs to be removed anyway I propose:
>
> a) replace MySQL with Apache Derby in the default setup
> b) bundle Jetty in the download
> c) create new ant tasks for setting up a simple demo/development/test
> environment

+1

Ate

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@googlemail.com>.
I`ve used Jetty before and found it to work well both to create a standalone
server and as a servlet container.  I don`t know much about Derby though.

Kris

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.