Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com> on 2012/06/29 10:42:08 UTC

Use of @Slow annotation on tests

Hi. I would like to change the use of @Slow. Currently only this test:

Test2BTerms#test2BTerms

is annotated with this annotation. I don't know how slow it really is,
but I would like to:

* change this particular test to @Ignore or give it an assumption inside,

* change the annotation group @Slow to be ON by default (so that all
tests are run by default).

* annotate the top of the list (tests longer than 10 seconds?) here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-4174 with @Slow.

My motivation is that I would like to be able to run a "quick" test
run from time to time and for this I'd like to skip the slowest, most
time-consuming tests. I could do it by running:

ant -Dtests.slow=off

currently this isn't possible. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Dawid

Re: Use of @Slow annotation on tests

Posted by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org>.
+1 Love it

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
bq. Perhaps an ant target "quicktest" or something instead of the -D?

You can set this permanently in your defaults (or set a shell alias with -D? :)

  <!-- Give user a chance to override without editing this file
      (and without typing -D each time it compiles it -->
  <property file="${user.home}/lucene.build.properties"/>
  <property file="${user.home}/build.properties"/>
  <property file="${basedir}/build.properties"/>
  <property file="${common.dir}/build.properties"/>

I'd rather not have yet another ant target if not really needed...

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Perhaps an ant target "quicktest" or something instead of the -D? I don't
have any strong feelings which would be better so whatever the people doing
the work think.

But running "ant test" on my 2009-vintage laptop has been painful lately

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 4:42 AM, Dawid Weiss <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I would like to change the use of @Slow. Currently only this test:
>
> Test2BTerms#test2BTerms
>
> is annotated with this annotation. I don't know how slow it really is,

couple of hours :)

> My motivation is that I would like to be able to run a "quick" test
> run from time to time and for this I'd like to skip the slowest, most
> time-consuming tests. I could do it by running:
>
> ant -Dtests.slow=off
>
> currently this isn't possible. Looking forward to hearing from you.

+1! Of course from time to time we should try to fix these slow tests
to not be slow. I know last I looked at this was in january and now
tests are taking about twice as long... but its an uphill battle and I
agree we should have a way to skip these bad apples.

--
lucidimagination.com