Posted to user@flink.apache.org by "Chan, Regina" <Re...@gs.com> on 2017/10/30 19:22:19 UTC

Job Manager Configuration

Flink Users,

I have about 300 parallel flows in one job each with 2 inputs, 3 operators, and 1 sink which makes for a large job. I keep getting the below timeout exception but I've already set it to a 30 minute time out with a 6GB heap on the JobManager? Is there a heuristic to better configure the job manager?

Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClientActorSubmissionTimeoutException: Job submission to the JobManager timed out. You may increase 'akka.client.timeout' in case the JobManager needs more time to configure and confirm the job submission.

Regina Chan
Goldman Sachs - Enterprise Platforms, Data Architecture
30 Hudson Street, 37th floor | Jersey City, NY 07302 *  (212) 902-5697

RE: Job Manager Configuration

Posted by "Newport, Billy" <Bi...@gs.com>.
The user code for all the flows is common though so is there an inefficiency here in terms of copying this code for every operator?

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.
That is the question I hope to be able to answer with the logs. Let's see
what they say.

Cheers,
Till

Posted by "Chan, Regina" <Re...@gs.com>.
Thanks for the responses!

30 Hudson Street, 37th floor | Jersey City, NY 07302<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__maps.google.com_-3Fq-3D30-2BHudson-2BStreet-2C-2B37th-2Bfloor-2B-257C-2BJersey-2BCity-2C-2BNY-2B07302-26entry-3Dgmail-26source-3Dg&d=DwMFaQ&c=7563p3e2zaQw0AB1wrFVgyagb2IE5rTZOYPxLxfZlX4&r=vus_2CMQfE0wKmJ4Q_gOWWsBmKlgzMeEwtqShIeKvak&m=laVSZTJAQISd6BKl5JXEilWYowD61y4Ai_UMr2jf_9c&s=X1OLt2bSLUDeiuNf2MdsX_68SjaV87OwfR1puLmsKlc&e=> •  (212) 902-5697<tel:(212)%20902-5697>

Re: Job Manager Configuration

Posted by Till Rohrmann <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Till Rohrmann <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Regina,

Posted by "Chan, Regina" <Re...@gs.com>.

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Joshua Griffith <JG...@CampusLabs.com>.
We run on a dedicated cluster managed by Kubernetes. The task managers run as a DaemonSet and the job manager runs as a Deployment. We had to increase the Akka frame size and client timeout on the service that submits jobs but we haven’t altered any Akka settings in the cluster. Here’s the container we run: https://github.com/orgsync/docker-flink

On Nov 18, 2017, at 4:10 PM, Chan, Regina <Re...@gs.com>> wrote:

Is your job running on a standalone cluster? I’m using a detached yarn session in a multi-tenant environment.
And I’m guessing you haven’t had to do anything special for the akka configurations.

I have an IO-dominated batch job with 471 distinct tasks (3786 tasks with parallelism) running on 8 nodes with 12 GiB of memory and 4 CPUs each. I haven’t had any problems adding additional tasks except for 1) tasks timing out the first time the cluster is started (I suppose the JVM needs to warm up), and 2) the UI can’t really handle this many tasks, although using Firefox Quantum makes it possible to see what’s going on.

Joshua

Posted by "Chan, Regina" <Re...@gs.com>.

Posted by "Chan, Regina" <Re...@gs.com>.