Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Bratek <dr...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/11 15:54:35 UTC

Maven site javadoc problem

Hi,

I have a Maven project that contains several modules (separate directories
and pom files). When I run site goal Javadocs are generated in each module's
directory. The problem is that the main project knows nothing about those
docs - there is no link to any of the modules.
I tried to search the Internet but I couldn't find any comprehensive
documentation on the subject - just some bits and ends. If you know how to
make this work, please let me know. Thank you,

Bratek

Re: Maven site javadoc problem

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I believe this is the only approach that works today...

However, this topic was just discussed yesterday in a thread named
"m2.0.3 - aggregated reports at top-level..." so you should check it
out for more info.

You are looking for an aggregated Javadoc. I believe the next version
of the Javadoc plugin will include this feature.

Until it is released, you will need to tweak your site.xml to make this work.

Wayne

Posted by Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>.
Jules Gosnell wrote:

> Bratek,
>
> http://wadi.codehaus.org
> http://svn.wadi.codehaus.org/viewrep/wadi/trunk/wadi
>
> have a look at what we have done...

errr - if you did - have another look :-)

I just figured a few more things out. As a result, we now have
site:deploy working properly. Top-level and sub-modules are still
x-linked in the same way...

Our modules live in a modules dir and are not named using there full
artefactId. After figuring out a few more mvn defaults, I shall be
moving them into the top-level and renaming their dirs to their
artefactIds. I think this should mean that the module pom scm elements
default properly and I expect more issues will fall out in the wash...

i.e. wadi/modules/core --> wadi/wadi-core

regards,

Jules

> our site is generated by ./modules/site/pom.xml.
>
> modules do the <reporting/> into an <outputDirectory/> - the
> modules/site/target/... dir
>
> Modules are linked to from the top-level by an index provided by
> ./modules/site/src/site/site.xml and link back via their own site.xml.
>
> This is not ideal as automatic site deployment doesn't seem to work -
> I deploy the site manually, and we still get an empty site generated
> by the top-level pom that is not used... but it means that you can
> browse the site locally after it is built, tar it up and copy it over.
> We are getting there...
>
> if you find a better way to do any of this, please drop me a mail :-)
>
> you may also want to check out other threads I have kicked off
> recently about aggregating clover, javadoc and junit reports at the
> top-level - in conclusion, for various reasons, I can't get any of
> these to work :-(
>
> Jules
>

> Lee Meador wrote:
>
>> I don't think it can be done automatically. You can put a site.xml
>> file in
>> each of the projects that has links to the other projects. I do this
>> to put
>> additional links in the left sidebar of the site that allows me to click
>> around from project to project.
>>
>> It's just barely good enought for me.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -- Lee
>>
>> On 4/11/06, Bratek <dr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a Maven project that contains several modules (separate
>>> directories
>>> and pom files). When I run site goal Javadocs are generated in each
>>> module's
>>> directory. The problem is that the main project knows nothing about
>>> those
>>> docs - there is no link to any of the modules.
>>> I tried to search the Internet but I couldn't find any comprehensive
>>> documentation on the subject - just some bits and ends. If you know
>>> how to
>>> make this work, please let me know. Thank you,
>>>
>>> Bratek
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> -- Lee Meador