Posted to community@apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2012/05/18 03:02:05 UTC

Website update ideas

I've been mulling over a better style for the community.a.o website.
While it's simple and to the point, it feels like the style could be
more welcoming, and have a few more signposts to specific topics on the
homepage.

  It always feels easier to click through to something when perhaps the
Newcomers para on the homepage actually has a few welcoming examples of
- downloading software, getting the source, finding your way around,
etc. instead of just a "newcomers page".

Is there anyone tied to the style or layout here that I might offend? 8-)

- Broader and more explanatory/welcoming intro section

- Each of newcomer/contributor/committer sections has brief description,
then a handful of specifically named links to the sub-page (anchors
about tech/community/other info, etc.)

- Beef up History section to include public records (all board reports,
the original resolution), plus links to the /foundation/governance and
the /history pages on the a.o site

- Better and more frequent mention of this mailing list and other
mailing lists.  We need to make it really easy to draw people into the
appropriate list(s) so they can start the conversation.

- Shane, hoping to improve here soon

Stretch goal is adding simple table, with direct links to key
how-it-works, etc. pages for top concepts people might search for: Get
the code, Download software, Report bugs, etc. - probably with columns
for "geeks" and "newcomers" (the geek ones go directly to svn.a.o or
similar; the newcomer versions go to explanatory pages under /dev, etc.)

RE: Website update ideas

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.
Pretty sure the website is owned by community dev and as such
This discussion should take place over on the dev@community.apache.org
Mailing list.

I don’t _think_ they own this generic list yet.

Gav...

RE: Website update ideas

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
ACK and ACK.  And depending on the weather this weekend I may add the
normal headers (Title: / Notice:) found on a.o site pages to all the
community site pages as well for consistency.

Indeed, short and to the point, but explanatory, and serving as an
intelligent signpost to the many other canonical sources of information
about ASF policies and Apache projects.

- Shane

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Daniel Gruno <ru...@cord.dk>.

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
On 21 May 2012 12:06, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> P.S. Huh.  Maybe the standard a.o footer "Foundation" section should have a
> "Newcomers" link or the like that points to community.a.o. Otherwise, as
> someone asked, how do people even find this site?

+1

I've not worked to link it in to the rest of the site because work
around here tends to be GSOC focussed and we push this site to the
students. However, I think I missed the fact that the site has grown
well beyond that and should be more widely used.

We should also start tieing it into the incubator site, but that is a
bigger issue as we saw during the "reboot IPMC" discussions.

> P.P.S. Was it a conscious decision to use a different page template than
> a.o, or just an oversight?  Pondering if we should consider adding the a.o
> footer or not, etc., or just keep it super simple.

Not, as far as I am aware, conscious. I suspect that when Nick did the
conversion from CWiki to CMS for us, which was right at the start of
the CMS, he chose the easiest route to get something working.

Ross

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Totally agreed - I was just saying that the History section would
include links to existing resources - plus perhaps a brief sentence
explaining what those things actually meant (so that newcomers can
decide if they're interested in them!).

Agreed on duplication just within the /dev and other official areas in
some cases too - but don't have the mental energy quite yet to tackle those.

- Shane

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Re: Website update ideas

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
(moved to dev@community.apache.org)

On 18 May 2012 02:02, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:
> Is there anyone tied to the style or layout here that I might offend? 8-)

I doubt it. The reality is that it was thrown together that way for
lack of people to improve it.

> - Broader and more explanatory/welcoming intro section

As long as the word count is kept low. Far too many ASF pages are
wordy and it's hard to get to what you need.

> - Each of newcomer/contributor/committer sections has brief description,
> then a handful of specifically named links to the sub-page (anchors about
> tech/community/other info, etc.)

I've always liked the three boxes next to one another as an entry point, e.g.

> - Beef up History section to include public records (all board reports, the
> original resolution), plus links to the /foundation/governance and the
> /history pages on the a.o site

This would be good, there is some great stuff scattered around.
However, I wouldn't want this to have equal billing to people entry
points. I'd think of this as more of a resources for press.

> - Better and more frequent mention of this mailing list and other mailing
> lists.  We need to make it really easy to draw people into the appropriate
> list(s) so they can start the conversation.

+1000

> - Shane, hoping to improve here soon

Yay!

> Stretch goal is adding simple table, with direct links to key how-it-works,
> etc. pages for top concepts people might search for: Get the code, Download
> software, Report bugs, etc. - probably with columns for "geeks" and
> "newcomers" (the geek ones go directly to svn.a.o or similar; the newcomer
> versions go to explanatory pages under /dev, etc.)

Lets keep it simple for now. I do think we can provide easy access but
don't want us to go in ten directions at once. The goal here is to be
a signpost, not a directory.

Ross