Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/21 06:50:47 UTC

IdeaJ

Hi all,

There may be a flurry of minor commits from me in the next few days as
I try to work out the weird way that IntelliJ IDEA works - I'm not
impressed so far with the project/module structure, and the svn
handling is strange too.

So if you see tiny little changes being committed, it's because I'm
trying out a new workflow (sorry)

Thanks,
Kev

Re: IdeaJ

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> --- Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Matt Benson wrote:
>>> FTR, since I had sent a note to the list
>> announcing my
>>> intent to use IDEA on my MBP, I eval'd IDEA and it
>>> informed me of random problems that didn't really
>>> exist.  I then attempted to use NetBeans but its
>>> apparent lack of a workspace concept (feel free to
>>> show me where I'm wrong here, anyone) was not
>>> conducive to my working needs.  SO I am using
>> Eclipse
>>> again.
>> I use IDEA as Ant's IDE; build with ant itself. At
>> work I can build with
>> IDEA, but have to do an ant run to do corner case
>> things (javacc, rmic,
>> etc). It does take a while to get used to, but is
>> good after that.
>>
>> what causes trouble in Ant's source tree are the
>> optional tasks, because
>> we dont have a simple directory/library mapping. If
>> all source that
>> depended on a specific library was in a single
>> package, it would be easy
>> to exclude that package when you dont have the JAR.
>> As it is.
>> oata.tasks.optional is trouble
>
> Actually, it seems like I did talk more about this
> before, but where I ran into trouble with IDEA was in
> a web project.  It gave me reports of errors that
> clearly did not exist, undermining my confidence from
> the start.  :(

I think by default it is set to flag a lot of things as errors that
should we warnings or mere 'info' level hints

-javadoc errors
-some introspection things

its introspector also flags trouble when there isnt always, because it
doesnt know what FileUtils.close() does, etc.

So crank back all the warnings on introspection and try again

Re: IdeaJ

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Matt Benson wrote:
> > FTR, since I had sent a note to the list
> announcing my
> > intent to use IDEA on my MBP, I eval'd IDEA and it
> > informed me of random problems that didn't really
> > exist.  I then attempted to use NetBeans but its
> > apparent lack of a workspace concept (feel free to
> > show me where I'm wrong here, anyone) was not
> > conducive to my working needs.  SO I am using
> Eclipse
> > again.
>
> I use IDEA as Ant's IDE; build with ant itself. At
> work I can build with
> IDEA, but have to do an ant run to do corner case
> things (javacc, rmic,
> etc). It does take a while to get used to, but is
> good after that.
>
> what causes trouble in Ant's source tree are the
> optional tasks, because
> we dont have a simple directory/library mapping. If
> all source that
> depended on a specific library was in a single
> package, it would be easy
> to exclude that package when you dont have the JAR.
> As it is.
> oata.tasks.optional is trouble

Actually, it seems like I did talk more about this
before, but where I ran into trouble with IDEA was in
a web project.  It gave me reports of errors that
clearly did not exist, undermining my confidence from
the start.  :(

-Matt

Re: IdeaJ

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.

Re: IdeaJ

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
FTR, since I had sent a note to the list announcing my
intent to use IDEA on my MBP, I eval'd IDEA and it
informed me of random problems that didn't really
exist.  I then attempted to use NetBeans but its
apparent lack of a workspace concept (feel free to
show me where I'm wrong here, anyone) was not
conducive to my working needs.  SO I am using Eclipse
again.

$0.02,
Matt