Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com> on 2002/04/18 00:12:55 UTC

Avalon.die.die.die

I don't know if I can take much more of Avalon.  I've lost so much
interest in working on James because of the problems that arise from
using Avalon, and am nearing my last straw this afternoon.

The latest problem with our use of Avalon is that if you have any open
connections when you try to stop the JVM, it hangs and has to be
forcibly stopped.  I thought the whole reason behind migrating to Avalon
was so that we didn't have to deal with underlying threading,
configuration, object pooling, database sources, connection handling,
logging, and other server related issues.  Unfortunately, none of the
features are implemented that wonderfully, the platform continually
moves from one pre-alpha release to another, there are regular huge
arguments on the dev mailing list about what latest pre-pre-alpha
component should be added next to the already uncertain platform, and
meanwhile the James project is stuck working again and again on stuff
that was already working before we ported to Avalon years ago.

Sorry, I'm just really really tired of this stuff.  Since there aren't
any real official releases of Avalon, should we just do another
snapshot?  Or maybe just branch the code, import it into James so we can
gain control over our project again?
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.
Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
I also wanted to mention that all of next week I'll be on vacation and
while I'll be checking email, it probably won't be very regularly and I
don't expect to be working on any James code.

California here I come!
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Paul,

If it's ok, I'd prefer if you did these changes to an offline
repository.  I don't really know what exactly your changes would be (as
tempting as they sound) and what all the implications would be, so I
would prefer to review them from a separate source.  Otherwise I would
very much appreciate your help in getting us up to speed with the latest
version of Avalon, a better structure, and otherwise improved build
process as you see it.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Great, sounds encouraging.  The database stuff is pretty independent of
Avalon since I've rolled my own datasource component/pooler.  If you can
get it working with the standard file repositories, we can probably get
it the rest of the way.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

RE: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> You must realise that JAMES is our flagship dependant project... we will
> always be attentive to you...

I didn't. But I do now.

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Danny,

RE: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> Nonetheless, I'd like to offer my services to bring you completely up to
> date with released Avalon comps.

+1

My specific concern is that there seem to be a significant number of avalon
issues manifesting themselves as James bugs.
What I think James needs is a way in which we can address bugs and
enhancements without getting too dirty in the avalon code.

d.

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Vinay Chandran <vi...@yahoo.com>.
Folks,

Dont know whether this is the right thread
to advocate Avalon for the JAMES guys <or>
praise JAMES in front of the Avalon folks,:)
But it was bcoz of BOTH that I was really able to
get grasp over much of JAMES (atleast the parts I
needed).

Avalon paradigms helped me quickly put a initial
release for JXTA
p2pEmail project , which aims at transporting
eMail(MIME messages)
over JXTA p2p network to the recipient JXTA p2pEmail
entity.
.[ JXTA is SUN's open p2p protocol:
http://www.jxta.org].
.[ JXTA p2pEmail Home Page:
http://p2p-email.jxta.org/servlets/ProjectHome ].

Hats off to JAMES and Avalon projects ,
the exercise was piece of cake for me.

Regards,
V i n a y

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Peter and Paul,

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Sorry that you got bitten by that bug but I believe it was fixed about 7
months ago. Heres the relevent cvs log

revision 1.5
date: 2001/09/07 03:06:51;  author: donaldp;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -0
Make sure accept() calls are interupted frequently enough on win32.
----------------------------
revision 1.4
date: 2001/09/01 16:51:42;  author: donaldp;  state: Exp;  lines: +6 -7
Threads are got from a pool and thus will never end. Thus when we were waiting
for thread.join() it would wait indefinetly. Thus we now use monitors +
wait()/notifyAll() to communicate between threads.

I am not sure if the above is the cause of your current woes but it sounds
like it is.

However if you want to take control of your project as you say then all you
need do is ask for commit access and it will be granted. Then if you need to
fix something you can fix it.

As a side note just because it is in avalon does not mean there is any law
stating that you have to use it. Some of the components I don't use because I
don't like their design and some I don't use because they drag in too many
dependencies or are not stable or whatever. If you have problems with
particular components then you should feel free to fix them or use
alternatives.

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:18, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Serge,
>
> As an Avalon advocate, who has none of the problems you mention before,
> I think I should offer my help.  Your cry for help is heard.
>
> At the risk of contradicting you, Avalon comps have been released : -
>    http://freshmeat.net/projects/avalon/?topic_id=810
> Avalon-Cornerstone has not.  Avalon-Phoenix is currently shipping a beta.
>
> Regards,
>
> - Paul H
>
> > I don't know if I can take much more of Avalon.  I've lost so much
> > interest in working on James because of the problems that arise from
> > using Avalon, and am nearing my last straw this afternoon.
> >
> > The latest problem with our use of Avalon is that if you have any open
> > connections when you try to stop the JVM, it hangs and has to be
> > forcibly stopped.  I thought the whole reason behind migrating to
> > Avalon was so that we didn't have to deal with underlying threading,
> > configuration, object pooling, database sources, connection handling,
> > logging, and other server related issues.  Unfortunately, none of the
> > features are implemented that wonderfully, the platform continually
> > moves from one pre-alpha release to another, there are regular huge
> > arguments on the dev mailing list about what latest pre-pre-alpha
> > component should be added next to the already uncertain platform, and
> > meanwhile the James project is stuck working again and again on stuff
> > that was already working before we ported to Avalon years ago.
> >
> > Sorry, I'm just really really tired of this stuff.  Since there aren't
> > any real official releases of Avalon, should we just do another
> > snapshot?  Or maybe just branch the code, import it into James so we
> > can gain control over our project again?

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Serge,

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Also, after you login into POP3, commands are no longer passed to the
POP3Handler class.  SMTP Handler seems to be working ok though... sent a
few test messages through what's in CVS.
--
Serge Knystautas
http://www.lokitech.com/

Re: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@yahoo.com>.
Danny

>How much code would we have to import, a lot right..?
>
>I share your concerns, but I wonder if there's another way.
>d.

Please do not over-react.  How about asking the Avalon team for help
with your issue.  If you rip out Avalon, you will lose so many other
features.

- Paul

RE: Avalon.die.die.die

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@thought.co.uk>.
> I don't know if I can take much more of Avalon.  I've lost so much
> interest in working on James because of the problems that arise from
> using Avalon, and am nearing my last straw this afternoon.
>
> The latest problem with our use of Avalon is that if you have any open
> connections when you try to stop the JVM, it hangs and has to be
> forcibly stopped.

That has been the case for a while