Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca> on 2021/06/14 15:27:34 UTC

Compile & Execute Under Early Access JDK 17

Hi,

I'd like to compile NB 12.4 under JDK 17 ea 26. I believe that there are switches necessary to enable the Security Manager. Could you please pass on the command line moodifications I will need to compile and then run NB or direct me to a web page where this info resides.

Will the next LTS version of NB be 12.5 or 13.0? Please let me know who may already be testing with JDK 17. Based on what I can learn I will be able to update the OpenJDK Quality Outreach wiki.

I also hope to encourage more developers to test NB with EA versions of Java. Think of it as a NetCAT for EA.

Ken

Re: Re: Compile & Execute Under Early Access JDK 17

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.
This type of removal is similar to this parent ticket [1] I raised about deprecated/to be remove APIs, at the time as of Java 11/15 timeframe, and the linked tickets for specific APIs impacted, with this being in 17 [2] timeframe sounds like more of them

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NETBEANS-5349
2. https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk17/docs/api/deprecated-list.html

Eric Bresie
Ebresie@gmail.com (mailto:Ebresie@gmail.com)

Posted by Kenneth Fogel <kf...@dawsoncollege.qc.ca>.
Hi,

I have reported to the OpenJDK Quality Outreach that we are testing NetBeans under JDK 17 ea 26. When I tried it with NB 12.4 it would start but then all sorts of minor issues cropped up. One was that it could not run any code because it could not find the main method. This sounds like an issue with the Security Manager. I have asked if ea 26 "restored the Security Manager to just deprecated and not changed without telling anyone" status. I will report back on what I learn.

If you are testing NB under JDK 17 please reach out to me. I’d like to pass on issues to the OpenJDK folks as soon as you discover them.

If I am duplicating the work someone else is doing interfacing with the OpenJDK team then let me know and I will stand down and just focus on reporting to the Quality Outreach.

Ken

--
Ludovic

Re: Compile & Execute Under Early Access JDK 17

Posted by Ludovic HOCHET <lh...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.