Posted to user@river.apache.org by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/10 12:54:24 UTC

Where do I find the old JavaSpaces example apps?

Hi

I've come across references to at least two sample programs which were
(apparently) shipped with JavaSpaces TK 1.0--a ray tracer example and
a "book buyer" example. I don't see any sign of these in the Jini 2.1
download--and haven't been able to recover the original artifacts from
the old JavaSpaces release--anyone know where these samples ended up?

Thanks
Patrick

Re: Where do I find the old JavaSpaces example apps?

Posted by Jeff Ramsdale <je...@gmail.com>.
classdepandjar is still useful and is used by Rio. It's also Apache
2.0 Licensed: https://classdepandjar.dev.java.net/

It'd be nice, though, if it used the new Classdep without the
dependency on the Sun JDK tools.jar. But needs a River release for
that. :-)

-jeff

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Op donderdag 15-10-2009 om 16:43 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Patrick
Wright:
> > For instance, there is a "classdepandjar" Ant task in the starterkit
> > examples ZIP I downloaded. It was developed a long time ago.
> > I'm very interested in that to include and use it in the River build.
>
> Wasn't that tool discussed on the River mailing list some months

Could be indeed .. I have not been following every message posted.
Thanks for pointing that out ...

> > I believe all these things used to be hosted on the jini.org projects area,
> > so I assume all of it would have been released under the SCSL too? What
> > about the things published on java.net?
>
> I believe on java.net a project must always declare what license they
> publish under. AFAIK, the bulk of the Jini projects were ASL, but not
> all. Should be on the project home page in each case.

OK, thank you.

Re: Where do I find the old JavaSpaces example apps?

Posted by Patrick Wright <pd...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
BTW - there is more than just the Ray Trace example (although that one is
really interesting).

For instance, there is a "classdepandjar" Ant task in the starterkit
examples ZIP I downloaded. It was developed a long time ago.
I'm very interested in that to include and use it in the River build.

There was also something called BuildTool which I remember was a very useful
tool back in the days .. Can't find any reference to that anymore tho. Not
sure whether it would still be relevant ...

I believe all these things used to be hosted on the jini.org projects area,
so I assume all of it would have been released under the SCSL too? What
about the things published on java.net?

- Jonathan

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Uh, crap....

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
I agree on the need for double/triple checking. I'll get to work on
this...

Jim

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Patrick--

I just took a look at these-- and they are all under the Apache
license right now (if you look at the bottom of the page, this is
explicitly called out). So I don't think that anything needs to be
done (other than a copy and a checkin) to include them into River. If
you find anything that is under the old license, I'll assemble the
code and get it put out under Apache...

Jim

Posted by Jim Waldo <Ji...@Sun.COM>.
Ok, I think I know how to proceed...

I'd like to request that people send me a list of all the things they
can find that didn't get put into the Rive codebase but should--
examples, utilities, and the like. If you can send the code, that
would be very helpful. If not, I'll try to track it down.

I'll then put it through the Sun Open Source process. Given the
circumstances (it will all be addenda to code that has gone through
the process before) it won't take long-- probably only a couple of
days. However, I'd like to get this started in the next week or so, to
insure that it doesn't get caught in any transition black hole...

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
I have the old Ray Trace example running on the latest River build.
Would it make sense / be possible to add this example to River?

I'll try to pull together a patch shortly if anybody is interested.

- Jonathan

Op zaterdag 10-10-2009 om 15:44 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Patrick
Wright:

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
I remember these too.. No clue where they went though.

Op zaterdag 10-10-2009 om 12:54 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Patrick
Wright:

Posted by Jonathan Costers <jo...@googlemail.com>.
Found a ZIP file containing the orginal examples you mention:
http://www.kiv.zcu.cz/~ledvina/vyuka/DS/ds2005-cv/uloha_10/starterkit-examples.zip

Would be nice to get these into River, if at all possible.

Best
JOnathan