Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by "Goldspink, Matt (IT)" <Ma...@morganstanley.com> on 2008/12/01 11:20:35 UTC

NullPointer bug IvyDE 2.0.0.beta1

Hi,

I hit the NullPointer issue this morning in Jira: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-133.

I took a quick look at the problem and it looks pretty straight forward to fix. Is it possible to get this fix added before 2.0.0.beta1 goes live? I've copied my comment from the Jira below for reference:

I hit this error this morning when starting up Eclipse with 2.0.0.beta1. I don't think the statement: "When launching Eclipse, and if there are some failing resolve job" is correct because the code in the

                        IvyClasspathContainerConfiguration.setConfStatus() method says:
            if (e != null) {
                setResolveStatus(new Status(IStatus.ERROR, IvyPlugin.ID, IStatus.ERROR, e
                        .getMessage(), e.getCause()));
            } else {
                setResolveStatus(Status.OK_STATUS); <!--- So it sets the status when its ok
            }
which shows that this method is called everytime, not just when there is an error. I did a bit of debugging and it looks like the line:
          IvyPlugin.getDefault().getContainerDecorator().statusChaged(this);
throws the null pointer and its because the call to getContainerDecoractor() is returning null. The reason is because Eclipse hasn't yet initialized that part of the plugin because none of the projects are expanded yet. Is it possible to just add a simple check to change the above line to be:
           IvyClasspathContainerDecorator decorator = IvyPlugin.getDefault().getContainerDecorator();
           if (decorator != null) {
                    decorator.statusChaged(this);
           }

Matt Goldspink
Morgan Stanley | Technology
20 Cabot Square | Canary Wharf | Floor 01
London, E14 4QW
Phone: +44 20 7425-5501
Matthew.Goldspink@morganstanley.com<ma...@morganstanley.com>

Re: NullPointer bug IvyDE 2.0.0.beta1

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
Goldspink, Matt (IT) a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I hit the NullPointer issue this morning in Jira: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-133.
>
> I took a quick look at the problem and it looks pretty straight forward to fix. Is it possible to get this fix added before 2.0.0.beta1 goes live?
Actually I don't see that bug as a blocker for releasing. The bug only
make a error raised at Eclipse startup, it won't affect any functionality.
Thought this bug have to be fixed for 2.0 final version.
And as I commented in the jira issue, the fix will be probably a little
more complex than you suggested.

Nicolas

Posted by "Becheanu, Daniel" <db...@cars.com>.
Hi,

There is a new NPE bug which happens if you migrate from old ivyDE to new ivyDE. This happens with RAD7.5 eclipse 3.4

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-136

Also I put a patch in for it.

Daniel