Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Marc Strapetz <ma...@syntevo.com> on 2015/08/13 13:32:44 UTC

Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support this capability" errors

On 27.07.2015 09:21, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 27.07.2015 09:17, Marc Strapetz wrote:
>> One of our 1.9 (early-access) users is reporting problems when
>> performing remote commands, for example a copy URL->URL:
>>
>> org.apache.subversion.javahl.ClientException: Stream doesn't support
>> this capability
>> Bad file descriptor
>> svn: Polling for available data on filestream failed: Bad file descriptor
>>      at org.apache.subversion.javahl.SVNClient.copy(Native Method)
>>      at ...
>>
>> He hasn't encountered such problems with 1.8 versions.
>>
>> AFAIU, he is connecting using SSH. Is this an SSH-related problem?
>> Could it be related to the underlying SSH client?
>
> Which platform is this? Can the user reproduce this problem with the
> command-line svn on the same machine?

It's on Windows, in combination with SSH. I'm now able to reproduce this
problem myself and it looks like a regression to me:

It's reproducible with our own Windows binaries as well as with the
WANdisco binaries. It's reproducible with Plink/Pageant as well as with
Trilead SSH. The commit works fine with Subversion 1.8.

Is there any additional information/debugging I can do on my side?

-Marc

Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support this capability" errors

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@syntevo.com>.
Is *anybody* of the Windows users able to commit using svn+ssh:// and
SVN 1.9?

--
Thomas

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@syntevo.com>.
> The fix is alread on the 1.9.x branch and will be
> part of the 1.9.1 release

Perfect, I can confirm that it is working now. Thanks.

--
Tom

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@syntevo.com>.

Posted by be...@qqmail.nl.

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@syntevo.com>.
Hi Bert,

Posted by Bert Huijben <be...@qqmail.nl>.

The problem is caused by apr not implementing file polling on Windows.
[[
        else if (aprset[i].desc_type == APR_POLL_FILE) {
#if !APR_FILES_AS_SOCKETS
            return APR_EBADF;
#else
            fd = aprset[i].desc.f->filedes;
#endif
        }
]]

Before Subversion 1.9 the code around the polling ignored errors and just checked for success.

Posted by Marc Strapetz <ma...@syntevo.com>.

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com> writes:

> That's the apr_poll() call in data_available_handler_apr() failing, and
> E000009 could be EBADF.

Perhaps E000009 is not EBADF on Windows?  Looking on Google I find

Error Code 9: The storage control block address is invalid. [ERROR_INVALID_BLOCK (0x9)]

I don't know what that means.

--
Philip Martin
WANdisco

Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support this capability" errors

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@wandisco.com>.
Marc Strapetz <ma...@syntevo.com> writes:

> It's reproducible with an empty repository on the server (just
> initialized with svnadmin) and a local repository which has been
> prepared for the initial import:
>
> C:\temp\svn> svn status -v
>                  0        0  ?           .
> A                -       ?   ?           dir
> A                -       ?   ?           dir\subfile
> A                -       ?   ?           file
>
> C:\temp\svn> svn commit -m "initial import"
> svn: E140004: Commit failed (details follow):
> svn: E140004: Stream doesn't support this capability
> svn: E000009: Polling for available data on filestream failed: Bad
> file descriptor
>
> On the server, we are running SVN 1.6.17.

That's the apr_poll() call in data_available_handler_apr() failing, and
E000009 could be EBADF.  I suppose the file could have been closed, or
the file descriptor could have been overwritten.  What do you see in the
debugger?

Breakpoint 2, data_available_handler_apr (baton=0x669500,
    data_available=0x7fffffffdccc)
    at ../src/subversion/libsvn_subr/stream.c:955
955	  status = apr_poll(&pfd, 1, &n, 0);
(gdb) p pfd.desc.f[0].filedes
$6 = 6

On Linux I can check that 6 a valid file descriptor for this process:

$ ls -l /proc/28574/fd/6
lr-x------ 1 pm pm 64 Aug 14 10:18 /proc/28574/fd/6 -> pipe:[612259]

--
Philip Martin
WANdisco

Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support this capability" errors

Posted by Marc Strapetz <ma...@syntevo.com>.
On 14.08.2015 00:20, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 13.08.2015 13:32, Marc Strapetz wrote:

>>> Which platform is this? Can the user reproduce this problem with the
>>> command-line svn on the same machine?
>>
>> It's on Windows, in combination with SSH. I'm now able to reproduce
>> this problem myself and it looks like a regression to me:
>>
>> It's reproducible with our own Windows binaries as well as with the
>> WANdisco binaries. It's reproducible with Plink/Pageant as well as
>> with Trilead SSH. The commit works fine with Subversion 1.8.
>>
>> Is there any additional information/debugging I can do on my side?
>
> I'd still want to know if the command-line client works. If not, a
> minimal Java program using JavaHL that demonstrates the problem would be
> a real help.

No, the command-line client does not work: neither the binaries we are
building nor WANdisco's binaries.

Posted by Thomas Singer <th...@syntevo.com>.

On 14.08.2015 00:20, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 13.08.2015 13:32, Marc Strapetz wrote:

>>> Which platform is this? Can the user reproduce this problem with the
>>> command-line svn on the same machine?
>>
>> It's on Windows, in combination with SSH. I'm now able to reproduce
>> this problem myself and it looks like a regression to me:
>>
>> It's reproducible with our own Windows binaries as well as with the
>> WANdisco binaries. It's reproducible with Plink/Pageant as well as
>> with Trilead SSH. The commit works fine with Subversion 1.8.
>>
>> Is there any additional information/debugging I can do on my side?
>
> I'd still want to know if the command-line client works.

No, it doesn't. That's what Marc meant with "It's reproducible with our
own Windows binaries as well as with the WANdisco binaries." The problem
is reproducible independent of SmartSVN.

--
Thomas

Re: JavaHL, 1.9: "Bad file descriptor", "Stream doesn't support this capability" errors

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.