Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/16 19:54:52 UTC

First draft of slides for ApacheCon

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1XSqXy9rz-RDcE-P2cK7dEmyjGGHvK8--mR4k_E-qAL4/edit?usp=sharing

I've made my first pass at the slides for the talk I'm giving on the
incubator in Portland.

If anyone is really allergic to Google Docs, I can export it and put
it somewhere otherwise accessible.

Re: First draft of slides for ApacheCon

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Benson,

if you need a keynote slide looking like the image here:
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Process_Description.html

pls let me know. I gladly send it to you.

Cheers
Christian

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: First draft of slides for ApacheCon

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
For gathering wide area comments, gdocs rule.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sigh. No bad joke goes unpunished. That's an intentional mistake, to
play off of the word 'capricious'.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by do...@us.ibm.com.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
the wrong accent is definitely a typo. thanks.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
slide 5: french typo
"chacun à son goût" (I suppose...)

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Ross, thanks. All of these are useful. The first one I'll just take
your suggestions as is, for the others I need to think a bit about how
to capture your nuance.

On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Ross Gardler
<rg...@opendirective.com> wrote:
> Great slides. A few comments for you to take on board or ignore at your
> pleasure (they are opinion not fact so you may not agree)...
>
> Slide 5: personally I avoid 'viral' and still k to 'reciprocal' no need to
> further alienate those who have a preference for reciprocal licences (I.e
> use passive rather than aggressive language). By the same token I'd say
> "not only about" as opposed to "not about". Personally I prefer things to
> be free, but I'm pragmatic and recognise that sometimes freedom will need
> to be compromised. Our licence is ideal for this, it provides choice and
> uses economics to drive freedom.

right.

> Slide 9: I guess it depends on how you deliver this slide whether I agree
> or not. The foundation will provide any "exotic" infrastructure that can be
> justified. I remember telling a podling they couldn't have Git, for
> example. I immediately went to infra and with the support of Jukka we got
> permission for that podling to  be the first one to adopt Git. Perhaps just
> add the word "unjustified", it's. Less final.

Right. I'm trying to convey 'don't show up and expect Infra to roll
over and deliver all kinds of new stuff just because you ask for it.'
It's not so much a question of 'justification' as process and economy
of scale. I'm sure I'll some up with something.

> Slide 19: To graduate a project must demonstrate the ability to grow, not
> necessarily to have grown. Therefore I think this slide is too absolute in
> its "grow or retire" message.

Got it.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Benson,

Looking really good!

You may consider adding a flow chart/diagram showing the Incubator process
but other than that, I don't have any suggestions.

Wonderful!

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.