Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Olivier Lange <ol...@petit-atelier.ch> on 2003/04/27 15:51:53 UTC

mod_dav_svn does not start on apache 2.0.45 (win32)

Hello

I do not get Apache 2.0.45 to start with Subversion's 0.21.0 mod_dav_svn.so
module.
Upon start, Apache reports:

  "
  The Apache service named  reported the following error:
  >>> Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so
into server: Le module spécifié est introuvable.     .
  "

"Le module spécifié est introuvable" means "module not found"... although
C:/Program Files/Apache/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so exists (dated
23.01.2003 01:38, 236Ko).

I installed Apache HTTPD 2.0.45 (binary distribution) on a win2000 server. I
started the service as a specific 'apache' user, set up the security
accordingly, and everything runs fine, listening on port 8080.

I then installed Subversion 0.21.0 (binary distribution), which works fine
also. I can access the repository using the local filesystem.

I copied the %SVN_HOME%/apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so to Apache's own
modules directory and inserted the following LoadModules directives in
httpd.conf:

  LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
  LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
  LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so

I also checked for security restrictions: my apache user has full read/write
access to Subversion's repository directories (F:\database\svnroot) and to
Apache's directories (C:\Program Files\Apache\Apache 2).

I read the documentation for some clue, but did not find anything.

I previously managed to get everything to work with Apache 2.0.44 and
Subversion 0.17.1.

What I am doing wrong?

Olivier
--
Le Petit Atelier de Genie logiciel

Re: mod_dav_svn does not start on apache 2.0.45 (win32)

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Sunday 27 April 2003 23.50, Branko Čibej wrote:

> Do you have libdb40.dll in the Apache modules directory?
> mod_dav_svn.so depends on that library.

I'm working on this and a fix for this will come up within a week or tree
;-).

Anyone having trouble with this on a non 2000 version of Windows?

Jostein

Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>
http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

RE: mod_dav_svn does not start on apache 2.0.45 (win32)

Posted by Olivier Lange <ol...@petit-atelier.ch>.
> I assume you're using the binaries from the subversion.tigris.org site, right?
Yes.

> Do you have libdb40.dll in the Apache modules directory? mod_dav_svn.so
> depends on that library.

That was it! No I didn't, altough I tried to copy libdb40.dll in Apache's bin directory (where the other lib*.dll libraries are stored), as mentionned in W32NOTES.TXT... Now I did and mod_dav_svn.so loads fine.

Thank you.

Olivier

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.

Olivier Lange wrote:

>Did I overlook something or is could there be a problem with the win32
>binary releases of Apache and Subversion?

Do you have libdb40.dll in the Apache modules directory? mod_dav_svn.so
depends on that library.

>I do not understand very well how Apache and Subversion use the libapr*
>portable libraries, but could there be a version conflict with the of the
>apr* libraries in the binary distributions of Subversion 0.21.0 and Apache
>2.0.45?

The client binaries are linked statically. mod_dav_svn.so is linked
dynamically against the APR libraries that come with the httpd-2.0.45
distribution.

>I do not see any libapr* librairies in Subversions directory (I installed
>the binary distribution) to check myself. Is it possible that mod_dav_svn.so
>was linked against an older or newer version that the one Apache HTTPD uses?
>What is the binding mechanism? Which libapr* libraries does Subversion
>0.21.0 use? The libapr* files from the Apache 2.0.45 binary distribution are
>dated 01.04.2003 09:02.

No, mod_dav_svn was linked at the exact same APR libraries as as
httpd-2.0.45 (I use the httpd source distribution to build release
binaries).

RE: mod_dav_svn does not start on apache 2.0.45 (win32)

Posted by Olivier Lange <ol...@petit-atelier.ch>.
Jostein,

> 23.01.2003 looks very old.

Oops, you're right, I reported the wrong version. I mixed up the machines
while looking for the date/version, sorry.

One should read: the mod_dav_svn.so module that came with the Subversion
0.21.0 binary release and that I copied to C:\Program
Files\Apache\Apache2\modules on the server where I have trouble is dated
17.04.2003 01:15 (236Ko).

> You might also need to uninstall (apache -k uninstall) the service , then
> copy mod_dav_svn.so and then install the service again (apache -k
install).

I tried to uninstall/réinstall the Apache service as you mentionned. It does
not help, my Apache service 2.0.45 does not start with the mod_dav_svn.so
module. It reports

"The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> Cannot load C:/Program Files/Apache/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so into
server: Le module spécifié est introuvable.     . "

in the win32 application event log. It actually reports two errors, the one
above and also a syntax error in httpd.conf for the following line:

"
LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so
"

which is located immediately after

"
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule dav_fs_module modules/mod_dav_fs.so
"

The Apache logs/error.log file does not report anything.

However my Apache server starts and works fine if I comment out this
"LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so" directive.

Posted by Jostein Christoffer Andersen <jo...@josander.net>.
On Sunday 27 April 2003 17.51, Olivier Lange wrote:

> "Le module spécifié est introuvable" means "module not found"...
> although C:/Program Files/Apache/Apache2/modules/mod_dav_svn.so exists
> (dated 23.01.2003 01:38, 236Ko).

23.01.2003 looks very old. Have you tried to stop the Apache service,
then copyed mod_dav_svn.so to your Apache2/modules/ directory and then
restarted the service.