Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org> on 2016/10/05 15:26:17 UTC

Post vote release actions

I plan to start the 4.1.3 vote today. This is a draft of the action list
assuming the vote passes. Please help by correcting, expanding, and
adding anything missing.

RM: Update
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3 to show
vote result etc.

RM: Edit
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3+Release+Notes
release notes to delete "DRAFT" note. - RM

RM: Use svn to move
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/ to
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.3/. See
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0b3416c973088efdf60056d2aae7f6cee0bd125be4370f3c0ff5324b@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
for Ariel's tip on how to do this without a full checkout.

Someone with SourceForge access: Upload to SourceForge using rsync.

Modify OpenOffice web pages to reflect the new release.

Press release and announcement on apache.org home page.

RE: Post vote release actions

Posted by Gavin McDonald <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Press release should certainly involve Sally at press@ so please tip her off now.

OpenOffice also have a Blog :-

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/

Someone should step up and volunteer to add a post there (any committer
can get an account if they don’t already have one)

Gav...

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 10/7/2016 3:55 AM, Marcus wrote:
> Am 10/07/2016 12:43 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
>> Thanks. Would you like to be the point person working with Sally on the
>> press release? It would be smooth to coordinate themes between press
>> release and blog post.
>
> I don't see a problem to create a press release and then to point to it
> from every announcement regardless of the communication channel.
> Therefore I see it more as convenient to have it in the same person's
> hand. ;-)
>
> OK, I'll speak with Sally.

I have already given her a heads-up on this, in the private thread
"Available to help with any communications needs as you discuss future
of AOO".

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/07/2016 12:43 AM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:

> On 10/6/2016 5:42 AM, Marcus wrote:
>>>
>>> The only important thing to update is that the release is available,
>>> since the page stays archived.

>>> Someone will also have to call for translations and coordinate
>>> translations.

>>> SVN moves by URL. So you never need a full checkout for the mv (Ariel
>>> was addressing another issue, i.e., how to add a file to a directory
>>> without a full checkout). For moving, this command will work from any
>>> directory (one line):
>>>
>>> $ svn mv https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.3

>>> This does need a full checkout (a full export to be precise). I have
>>> access, as several other PMC members; I can take care of this.

>> I'll take care about the website updates ...
>>
>>> ...and for the post on https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/ I have access, but
>>> I thinks others do too, so I'd leave this to someone else - even though
>>> it may be a simple copy/paste from the announcement.
>>
>> ... and could also do a blog post if nobody else want to do this.
>
> Thanks. Would you like to be the point person working with Sally on the
> press release? It would be smooth to coordinate themes between press
> release and blog post.

I don't see a problem to create a press release and then to point to it
from every announcement regardless of the communication channel.
Therefore I see it more as convenient to have it in the same person's
hand. ;-)

OK, I'll speak with Sally.

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> RM: Update
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3 to show
> vote result etc.

The only important thing to update is that the release is available,
since the page stays archived.

> RM: Edit
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3+Release+Notes
> release notes to delete "DRAFT" note. - RM

Someone will also have to call for translations and coordinate translations.

> RM: Use svn to move
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/ to
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.3/. See
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0b3416c973088efdf60056d2aae7f6cee0bd125be4370f3c0ff5324b@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
> for Ariel's tip on how to do this without a full checkout.

SVN moves by URL. So you never need a full checkout for the mv (Ariel
was addressing another issue, i.e., how to add a file to a directory
without a full checkout). For moving, this command will work from any
directory (one line):

$ svn mv https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.3

> Someone with SourceForge access: Upload to SourceForge using rsync.

This does need a full checkout (a full export to be precise). I have
access, as several other PMC members; I can take care of this.

> Modify OpenOffice web pages to reflect the new release.
> Press release and announcement on apache.org home page.

...and for the post on https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/ I have access, but
I thinks others do too, so I'd leave this to someone else - even though
it may be a simple copy/paste from the announcement.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
On 10/9/2016 8:56 PM, Don Lewis wrote:
> On  9 Oct, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

>>> This one takes a few seconds and is best done close to the release.

>>> This one takes a few hours. I've already prepared a full svn export of
>>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/ and I'll be
>>> using it for uploading to SourceForge shortly - I've just verified all
>>> hashes. So the rename above can happen at any time: I'll be using my
>>> local copy and not SVN for the rsync to SourceForge.
>>
>> Rename done.
>
> I see the binaries under http://www.apache.org/dist/openoffice/4.1.3/
> but not the source tarballs.

 From my phone, I saw the source tarballs, but only some of the language
subdirectories. From the computer I used to do the move, I see both.

I think we may be seeing a propagation issue, and should let things
settle for a few hours.

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 09/10/2016 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Upload is complete. So all binaries are now available from SourceForge

For better compliance with the ASF release policy, that recommends that
hashes and signatures are published on ASF-owned resources only, hashes
have now been removed from the SourceForge copy.

This has zero impact on our download pages: we've always linked to
SourceForge to download the actual installers, and to *.apache.org
addresses to get the (very small) hash file. So we've simply got rid of
a redundant copy that we were not using.

As an additional benefit, people who like to browse the files tree
directly on SourceForge will now find it much easier to navigate without
the clutter brought by the unused hash files.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/09/2016 11:00 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> So upload is in progress and at a very good speed
>
> Upload is complete. So all binaries are now available from SourceForge,
> even though I assume that for best download speed one should still wait
> for some hours while all mirrors are populated.

ACK

> I confirm that uploading to SourceForge is an order of magnitude faster
> than uploading to SVN: the full 4.1.3 tree took less than 3 hours (while
> uploading to SVN took more than 3 days).

Wow!

Maybe we should change the upload order for the next release: First
SourceForge into a "staged" and "not-mirrored" dir and then - when the
RC is approved - upload also to ASF.

This would increase the release process enormously.

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/09/2016 09:42 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Can you upload in a staged dir? Have you tried this already in
>> the past?
>
> No, I haven't, and I probably made the wrong choice. I created the
> "4.1.3" directory through the web interface and I was asked whether to
> consider it staged or not, I went for "not staged" but I don't see an
> option to turn it on now.

ah, too bad.

> So upload is in progress and at a very good speed, but files won't be
> protected so they will be visible already tonight if one looks for them
> via explicit URL. Not a big issue anyway, since both the files (even if
> they are in the dev area on dist) and the fact that they are the
> "official" 4.1.3 binaries are already public...
>
> But for the next release it would be better to experiment with:
> - create the dir from the web interface and mark it as "staged"
> - populate the dir through rsync as usual

Yes, nexct time. Good that it's not too long in the future.

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/09/2016 07:52 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> - Change the RC1 into the real release
>
> This one takes a few seconds and is best done close to the release.
>
>> - Uploading to the Sourceforge mirrors
>
> This one takes a few hours. I've already prepared a full svn export of
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/ and I'll be
> using it for uploading to SourceForge shortly - I've just verified all
> hashes. So the rename above can happen at any time: I'll be using my
> local copy and not SVN for the rsync to SourceForge.

ah, great.

> Just for information, the svn export from dist took hours. I expected it
> to be much faster again, but we have to consider that it's still a huge
> amount of data (dozens of GBytes).
>
> Do we want the SourceForge files to be "staged"? This can be done after
> the upload and will make Sourceforge files temporarily invisible to
> visitors, even though most visitors will simply download from the
> official site.

IMHO yes. Can you upload in a staged dir? Have you tried this already in
the past? Better to do it this way than to finish the big upload and
then stage the dir.

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/09/2016 03:28 PM, schrieb Patricia Shanahan:
> On 10/5/2016 8:26 AM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
>> I plan to start the 4.1.3 vote today. This is a draft of the action list
>> assuming the vote passes. Please help by correcting, expanding, and
>> adding anything missing.
>
> Just in case anyone missed it, the vote passed so it is time to execute
> the post vote actions.

I can think of the following to start with:

- Change the RC1 into the real release
- Uploading to the Sourceforge mirrors

Anything else for the moment?

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/07/2016 08:51 AM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Am 10/06/2016 10:55 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> provided someone takes care of extracting a list with tasks a names from
>>> this thread!
>> I think there is some text missing. What do you mean with tasks and
>> names?
>
> I meant extracting a simple list from this whole discussion, like:
>
> - Copy binary to SourceForge: Andrea
> - Update website: Marcus
>
> but I see you are doing this on
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3 which is
> the perfect place for it.

ah, OK. I've update the page anyway to reflect the current status and to
put some more information. I've set you as volunteer for the update feed.

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 10/06/2016 10:55 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> IIRC the last step is updating the update feed so that current
>> installations get an update notification.
>> This is under subversion at
>> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/updates-site/trunk/
>
> This traditionally happens a few days (up to one week) after release, to
> avoid unwanted peaks of traffic. This is something I can take care of -
> provided someone takes care of extracting a list with tasks a names from
> this thread!

I think there is some text missing. What do you mean with tasks and names?

Thanks

Marcus

Re: Post vote release actions

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 08:26:17AM -0700, Patricia Shanahan wrote:
> I plan to start the 4.1.3 vote today. This is a draft of the action list
> assuming the vote passes. Please help by correcting, expanding, and adding
> anything missing.
>
> RM: Update https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3 to
> show vote result etc.
>
> RM: Edit
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1.3+Release+Notes
> release notes to delete "DRAFT" note. - RM
>
> RM: Use svn to move
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/openoffice/4.1.3-rc1/ to
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/openoffice/4.1.3/. See https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0b3416c973088efdf60056d2aae7f6cee0bd125be4370f3c0ff5324b@%3Cdev.openoffice.apache.org%3E
> for Ariel's tip on how to do this without a full checkout.
>
> Someone with SourceForge access: Upload to SourceForge using rsync.
>
> Modify OpenOffice web pages to reflect the new release.
>
> Press release and announcement on apache.org home page.

IIRC the last step is updating the update feed so that current
installations get an update notification.

This is under subversion at
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/updates-site/trunk/

Regards
--