Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Stuart Siegel <ss...@yahoo.com> on 2002/03/12 18:17:53 UTC

File:Line info not showing when using SocketAppender/SimpleSocketServer

A million apologies for the cross post.  I accidently posted this to
the log4j-cvs group (a completely inappropriate group for the
content).

I'm using a SocketAppender in (what I think) is the simplest possible
way.  My config file on the client side looks like:

#-------Client side configuration file-----------------
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A1.Port=12345
log4j.appender.A1.RemoteHost=localhost
#------------------------------------------------------

I'm starting a SimpleSocketServer with the following config file as
the argument:

#-------------Server side config file-----------
log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, LOG_FILE
log4j.appender.LOG_FILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p %d [%t] (%F:%L)
- %m%n
log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.File=clientLog
#--------------------------------------------------

Everything seems to be working pretty much as expected except that
the (%F:%L) formatting options in my conversion patterns shows as
"(?:?)" in the rolling file clientLog.  Using the same classes (I did
compile with debugging symbols) with a local appender produces the
correct file and line information.

I know this is probably something trival but I could not find
anything mentioning it in the archives.

=====

Re: File:Line info not showing when using SocketAppender/SimpleSocketServer

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
See
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/net/SocketAppender.html#setLocationInfo(boolean)

The LocationInfo option takes a boolean value. If true, the
information sent to the remote host will include location
information. By default no location information is sent to the server.

So the client side configuration file should be

#-------Client side configuration file-----------------
log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1
log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A1.Port=12345
log4j.appender.A1.RemoteHost=localhost
# new directive
log4j.appender.A1.LocationInfo=true

At 09:17 12.03.2002 -0800, you wrote:
>A million apologies for the cross post.  I accidently posted this to
>the log4j-cvs group (a completely inappropriate group for the
>content).
>
>I'm using a SocketAppender in (what I think) is the simplest possible
>way.  My config file on the client side looks like:
>
>#-------Client side configuration file-----------------
>log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1
>log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
>log4j.appender.A1.Port=12345
>log4j.appender.A1.RemoteHost=localhost
>#------------------------------------------------------
>
>I'm starting a SimpleSocketServer with the following config file as
>the argument:
>
>#-------------Server side config file-----------
>log4j.rootLogger=DEBUG, LOG_FILE
>log4j.appender.LOG_FILE=org.apache.log4j.RollingFileAppender
>log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.layout.ConversionPattern=%5p %d [%t] (%F:%L)
>- %m%n
>log4j.appender.LOG_FILE.File=clientLog
>
>Everything seems to be working pretty much as expected except that
>the (%F:%L) formatting options in my conversion patterns shows as
>"(?:?)" in the rolling file clientLog.  Using the same classes (I did
>compile with debugging symbols) with a local appender produces the
>correct file and line information.
>
>I know this is probably something trival but I could not find
>anything mentioning it in the archives.
>

>=====

Ceki