Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de> on 2017/06/17 14:55:35 UTC

Re: Release Manager for 4.2.0?

Hi Andrea,

Bouncing up your mail from march...

> On 29/01/2016 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> For 4.2.0 we need a Release Manager. I would prefer NOT to be the
>> Release Manager for 4.2.0 since I'm finding that in this period I can
>> help more productively with tasks that do not require constant
>> interaction ...
>> I am surely available to have a significant role in the 4.2.0 release
>
> A few days after writing this, almost 2 months ago, sudden events left
> me incapacitated to make any significant contributions until very
> recently. I'm still unable to make long-term commitments.
>
> Anyway, there are some issues we need to get done as a team before
> appointing a release manager makes sense:
>
> 1) Enough code. Done. The merge of the recent gbuild work totally
> justifies a 4.2.0 release. Also, in 4.1.2 we only included a tiny
> fraction of the fixes that (at that time) were available on trunk. So
> here we are already OK, and we've been OK for months.
>
> 2) Localization. I got shell access to the Pootle server a few days
> ago. I'm still looking around, and if someone else want to join this
> is an important part. We need to have a solid process for updating
> translations (the full route: new strings in code -> Pootle -> back to
> code -> in localized builds) in place.

This is the part I would be interested to help!
Pootle synchronisation is essential for 4.2.0 and beyond.

Regards, Matthias

Re: Release Manager for 4.2.0?

Posted by Matthias Seidel <ma...@hamburg.de>.
> Matthias Seidel wrote:
>> Bouncing up your mail from march...
>
> Not only from March, but from March 2016!

Wow, didn't even notice it...
But I must have thought it was important because I kept it in my
archive! ;-)

>> Am 27.03.2016 um 22:13 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> 2) Localization. I got shell access to the Pootle server a few days
>>> ago. I'm still looking around, and if someone else want to join this
>>> is an important part. We need to have a solid process for updating
>>> translations (the full route: new strings in code -> Pootle -> back to
>>> code -> in localized builds) in place.
>>
>> This is the part I would be interested to help!
>> Pootle synchronisation is essential for 4.2.0 and beyond.
>
> Good! So the first step would be that you try exporting a language
> (likely German in you case) from Pootle to SDF and check how it looks.
>
> While I assumed Pootle was aligned with 4.1.x (no strings are added
> within the 4.1.x series) Ariel did some work in early 2017 and found
> out that actually Pootle reflects some other, not perfectly clear,
> status of code.
>
> Anyway, the first action I suggest is:
>
> 1) Download German PO files from https://translate.apache.org/de/ (you
> will need to login; I've just given you permission to download the PO
> files in case you didn't have them)

Yes, that did work!
I will try the next steps...

And I just learned what the KeyID (lang="kid") is for, may be helpful!

Regards, Matthias

Re: Release Manager for 4.2.0?

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.