Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Tony Finch <do...@dotat.at> on 2000/07/19 01:21:35 UTC

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.c

rse@locus.apache.org wrote:

>  Replace this unknown hash function someone contributed with the classical DJB
>  times 33 hash (using XOR instead of ADD).

Uh, doesn't this reduce the amount that the bits get mixed up?

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
318 butterfly appliqu�s on the sliding glass door of doom

Re: cvs commit: apache-1.3/src/modules/standard mod_rewrite.c

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Wed, Jul 19, 2000 at 12:21:35AM +0100, Tony Finch wrote:
> rse@locus.apache.org wrote:
> >
> >  Replace this unknown hash function someone contributed with the classical DJB
> >  times 33 hash (using XOR instead of ADD).
>
> Uh, doesn't this reduce the amount that the bits get mixed up?

I'm with Tony on this one. XOR can flip a bit, but it has no "carry" to
monkey up higher-order bits.

Cheers,
-g

--