Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm> on 2010/09/07 18:32:36 UTC

Re: Blocking on IndexSearcher search

Uwe Schindler wrote:
>> Im using Windows and I'll try NIO, good idea, my app is already memory
>> hungry in other areas so I guess MMapped is a no go, doe sit use heap or
>>
> perm
>
>> memory ?
>>

> It uses address space for mapping the files into virtual memory (like a swap
> file) - this is why it only works well for 64bit VMs. The used physical
> memory depends on your OS cache configuration. Java Heap is not used for
> that (in contrast to copying a  file to a RAMDirectory).
>
> Uwe

Went to try NIO and then realised it no better for Windows, in fact the
SUN bug seems is saying that multiple file channels work better than
sharing one, so perhaps that it what is happening when I had mutliple
IndexReaders and so performance was actually better on Windows in that
circumstance. As customers could be using 32bit or 64bit I fear that
MMapped is not a very robust solution
, oh well have to live with fit or now I suppose

Paul