Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Ratha v <vi...@gmail.com> on 2016/03/29 12:49:06 UTC

Why my consumer does not print any messages? help..

Hi all;
I use kafka 0.9.0.1.
I publish 10 messages to my kafka server, but when i try to use my
consumer, it does not retriev any messages.
In the following code snippet, it prints 111 and 222 and thread runs
forever without sending any records :(

I set consumer.timeout property, but nothing helps me..

Can anybody help me?

public void run() {

try {

consumer.subscribe(topics);

System.out.println("111");

while (true) {

System.out.println("2222");

ConsumerRecords<String, RawFile> records = consumer.poll(100);

System.out.println("3333 : "+records.count());

for (ConsumerRecord<String, RawFile> record : records) {

System.out.println("4444");

FileProcessor processor = new FileProcessor();

processor.processFile(record.value());

}

}

} catch (Throwable e) {

e.printStackTrace();

System.out.println("eror in polling");

} finally {

consumer.close();

}

}
--
-Ratha
http://vvratha.blogspot.com/

Re: Why my consumer does not print any messages? help..

Posted by Ratha v <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Cees for the help..Yes i was trying to produce the messages before
consumer starts. Now i changed the order,

   1. I published messages and started the listener ---> No success
   2. I set the "auto.offset.reset" property to *earliest  --> No success*
   3. *T*hought may be my messages are not published, so started the
   consumer shell script (default tool in the kafka distribution), that
   consumes my messages well.

Do you think any other issues from my end?

Thanks

Posted by Cees de Groot <ce...@pagerduty.com>.