Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2018/12/03 14:26:48 UTC

Bad commit https://github.com/apache/karaf/commit/62e832c7009b5b8beafd219ff7b6b66051205682

Hi guys,

A pull request has been merged on master (so for Karaf 4.2.2), but I
think it's not correct:

https://github.com/apache/karaf/commit/62e832c7009b5b8beafd219ff7b6b66051205682

This is an upgrade to blueprint-core 1.10.0. We already have a Jira
about that:

We can't update to blueprint 1.10.0 on Karaf 4.2.x without breaking the
Camel Blueprint support, which I think it's really bad.

So, I think it would be better to revert this update and target
blueprint 1.10.0 to Karaf 4.3.x.

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB
--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Bad commit https://github.com/apache/karaf/commit/62e832c7009b5b8beafd219ff7b6b66051205682

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
After discussing with Christian, as we also have an issue with Aries
Blueprint around JPA, I think it makes sense to release Blueprint 1.9.1
with the interceptor fix we need for Aries Blueprint.

I think it's a better approach.

Regards
JB

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
We may add a note also in the on the camel documentation in the github repo about this.

--
Andrea Cosentino
----------------------------------
Apache Camel PMC Chair
Apache Karaf Committer
Apache Servicemix PMC Member
Email: ancosen1985@yahoo.com
Twitter: @oscerd2
Github: oscerd

On Monday, December 3, 2018, 3:49:17 PM GMT+1, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> wrote:

OK, I found the issue, it's related to property placeholder:

So, it affects users when using property placeholder in the camel
blueprint route.

To work, users have to use at least Camel 2.21.2.

If an user still uses Camel 2.20.1, it won't work.

That's why I think it's better to:

1. stay with blueprint-core 1.9.x on Karaf 4.2.x
2. do a a new blueprint-core 1.9.1 release including the interceptor fix
we need for jpa

Thoughts ?

Regards
JB

Posted by Grzegorz Grzybek <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hello

Yes - sorry that I've missed this thread. Summarizing here:

 - initially bp.core 1.10.0 changed the interfaces of property
placeholders, so existing camels stopped detecting them entirely :
ARIES-1298
 - so I've fixed camel to detect new interfaces : CAMEL-12570
 - then I fixed camel to detect new interfaces BY REFLECTION, so it would
work with old aries too : CAMEL-12570 (another commit)
 - and finally I changed Aries to preserve the hierarchy and bring backward
compatibility back so both old Camel, which is unaware of
org.apache.aries.blueprint.ext.PropertyPlaceholderExt and new Camel works
with both Aries bp.core <1.10.0 and >=1.10.1: ARIES-1858

tl;dr: don't use bp.core 1.10.0, upgrade Karaf 4.2.2 to bp.core 1.10.1.

best regards
Grzegorz Grzybek

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.