Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/22 17:27:11 UTC

[RELEASE]: proposed deadline for logo changes

Hi,

we are moving forward to the next release and if we want have a new logo
as part of this release we have to push the necessary work.

It will require some work to integrate a new logo, new icons etc. in the
release. I would like to propose a deadline of May 17th for a final new
logo. If we can't agree on a new one we will move forward with the old
one and move the logo UI refresh to 4.1.

I believe we all want a new logo ready for AOO 4.0 and if we really want
to achieve this goal, we have to move forward quite fast now. So let us
focus on a decision here asap that we can start with the further work on
file icons, app icons...

We still have a lot of work in front of us to fix existing issues,
implement the last missing bits and to stabilize the code. The logo is
only one part and we can move this to later as well. More important is
that we agree on something really nice and that we can use for some time
in the future to improve our brand recognition. Our existing orb logo is
of course not bad and we can continue with it as well if we don't find a
better one. Maybe simply a refresh of the existing one is a good move
for now. A new source graphic (svg) +  an open source font.

What is our expectation or guess when we will have something where we
can work with?

Juergen

Re: [RELEASE]: proposed deadline for logo changes

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 22 April 2013 17:48, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > we are moving forward to the next release and if we want have a new logo
> > as part of this release we have to push the necessary work.
> >
> > It will require some work to integrate a new logo, new icons etc. in the
> > release. I would like to propose a deadline of May 17th for a final new
> > logo. If we can't agree on a new one we will move forward with the old
> > one and move the logo UI refresh to 4.1.
> >
> > I believe we all want a new logo ready for AOO 4.0 and if we really want
> > to achieve this goal, we have to move forward quite fast now. So let us
> > focus on a decision here asap that we can start with the further work on
> > file icons, app icons...
> >
> > We still have a lot of work in front of us to fix existing issues,
> > implement the last missing bits and to stabilize the code. The logo is
> > only one part and we can move this to later as well. More important is
> > that we agree on something really nice and that we can use for some time
> > in the future to improve our brand recognition. Our existing orb logo is
> > of course not bad and we can continue with it as well if we don't find a
> > better one. Maybe simply a refresh of the existing one is a good move
> > for now. A new source graphic (svg) +  an open source font.
> >
> > What is our expectation or guess when we will have something where we
> > can work with?
> >

> It would be easy put a poll up on http://survey.openoffice.org to gather
> feedback on the current proposals.  I started to investigate what would be
> required to do this.   A few challenges I ran into:

That is a real super idea. And if we can group the responses (users,
designers....)

> 1) It is not obvious what the proposals actually are.  We have have many
> nice designs, but they are on different wiki pages, e.g.,:
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.x+-+Logo+Explorations
>
> But also subpages of:
>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Complete+Design+Proposals

Is it possible to collect all the active proposals and put them direct in
the survey...if it gets too many, we can make a preselection round ?

> 2) Several designs posted many small variations on the same base idea.   Do
> we want to poll all of them or have the designer pick a representative one?

I would suggest that the respective designers forward their final proposal
in max. 2 variants.

> 3) Some designs are pure "logo" like what we would put on the website.
> Others are more elaborate treatments, something appropriate for the splash
> screen.  In some cases the designer provided both, but sometimes only one.
> What exactly do we want to poll?

the new logo must be useable all over...from documentation to code.

> 4) The designs are all presented in different sizes.  Unless we resize
> things to similar size the poll itself would be quite ugly.  I could resise
> the bitmaps of course, but that could lead to lower quality compared to the
> designer rendering it from their original.

If you set a size, and we ask the designers to provide that...would that
work ?

> In any case, I'm happy to set up the poll, but I need to know what exactly
> we are polling.

I am still the opinion...that we need to select a "complete" logo, meaning
a "thing" we can use for all our activities...and that is what we should
poll for. Depending on the amount it might be an idea to do a preselect
poll.

> Note:  this would not be a "vote".  I was thinking of just showing each of
> the logos and then asking the viewer to rate each one on a scale of 1 to
> 10.   Then we can focus on refining the choice(s) that rate highest.

+1

rgds
Jan I.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.