Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Wido Hillmann <wi...@epost.de> on 2002/03/09 21:06:12 UTC

dvsl: where is $outputfilename in build 0.42 ?

In the dvsl context of build 0.33 was by default a useful reference
called $outputfilename. I used it to deaktivate the link to the actual
document for better user guideing. It is gone now forever?

-wido

Re: dvsl: where is $outputfilename in build 0.42 ?

Posted by Wido Hillmann <wi...@epost.de>.
Hy Geir,

for the case you haven't time to think about a new naming convention. I
had done a diff against the version 1.6 of DVSLTask.java that integrates
the input and outputfilename again.

I thought about a notifier - listner solution (see my event cartridge
proposal). If somebody would like, I could present a solution. For the
moment I can't think of other advantage as for input - and
outputfilename reference.

-Wido

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Posted by Wido Hillmann <wi...@epost.de>.
Hy Geir,

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On 3/9/02 4:34 PM, "Bill Burton" <bi...@progress.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:
>>
>> On 3/9/02 3:06 PM, "Wido Hillmann" <wi...@epost.de> wrote:
>>
>>> In the dvsl context of build 0.33 was by default a useful reference
>>> called $outputfilename. I used it to deaktivate the link to the actual
>>> document for better user guideing. It is gone now forever?
>>>

>> I killed it :)
>>
>> I have some DVSL work to do  this weekend, so I'll put it back somehow.
>
> Maybe expose processing related stuff like this under a name like
> $environment, $system, $dvsl, etc.  So if there was an output file, it
> could be available as $dvsl.outputfilename.  It probably should be
> readonly so have DVSLContext prevent modifications to it like it does for
> node.  In the future, this could be used to expose Java system properties
> or Ant properties when run from within Ant.  This would allow certain
> settings to be controlled at build time and have an effect on the
> stylesheet in some way.

Of course.  :)

The problem doesn't go away though, and there is another issue.  We could
fix a name now ($dvslinfo) or let people specify it.  The latter seems
kinder and more open until you realize (or until I realize...) that this
freedom can make life miserable when you try to bring together two sets of
stylesheets for each each author chose a different token.

By fixing it now, people will know that the $dvslinfo reference is reserved.

Not a bad thing, since this is an application :)

System and Software Consulting
POC lives!

Re: dvsl: where is $outputfilename in build 0.42 ?

Posted by Bill Burton <bi...@progress.com>.
Hello,

"Geir Magnusson Jr." wrote:

> On 3/9/02 3:06 PM, "Wido Hillmann" <wi...@epost.de> wrote:
>
> > In the dvsl context of build 0.33 was by default a useful reference
> > called $outputfilename. I used it to deaktivate the link to the actual
> > document for better user guideing. It is gone now forever?
> >

> I killed it :)
>
> I have some DVSL work to do  this weekend, so I'll put it back somehow.

Maybe expose processing related stuff like this under a name like
$environment, $system, $dvsl, etc.  So if there was an output file, it
could be available as $dvsl.outputfilename.  It probably should be
readonly so have DVSLContext prevent modifications to it like it does for
node.  In the future, this could be used to expose Java system properties
or Ant properties when run from within Ant.  This would allow certain
settings to be controlled at build time and have an effect on the
stylesheet in some way.

> The problem is that from  the point of view of DVSL, there is no such thing
> as an output file, so having a magic reference in the context is a bit weird
> - it makes the .dvsl stylesheets non-portable, although 99% of the use seems
> to be in ant...

Yes.

-Bill

Re: dvsl: where is $outputfilename in build 0.42 ?

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.