Posted to user@openwebbeans.apache.org by Denis Forveille <de...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/22 01:43:36 UTC

Where to find up to date documentaiton on OWB?

Hello,

We are about to migrate our development stack from JSF1.2/Seam 2/WebSphere v7.0  to JSF 2.0/CDI/WebSphere v8.5 that includes OWB...

After after looking for documentation, we found almost nothing usable on the web site (http://openwebbeans.apache.org/owb/index.html) !

The OWB official site seems very outdated (Last Published: 14 Dec 2011  | Version: 1.1.4-SNAPSHOT)

More specifically:
- how to tweak/configure OWB ? what properties and their meaning can we use? For the core (listed in a config file) but also for the
modules
- after looking to the source code, it seems that there are some extensions (Jms ..) What are they? how to use them?

Thx.

Re: Where to find up to date documentaiton on OWB?

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@gmail.com>.
Perhaps you would be interested in some of the CDI extensions that are out
there - Seam3, DeltaSpike or Apache CODI.

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Dennis!

Yes, our docs suck :)
I already started with setting up the CMS, but that takes a bit ...

The plugins of OWB result from the modular nature of OWB. The core (webbeans-impl) does NOT contain any EE dependencies. JSF features (conversation support for JSF, etc) get added by webbeans-jsf. All the required plugins are provided in WebSphere 8++. I'm not yet aware though if IBM repackages it to a a single jar, etc.

Most of the parameters in openwebbeans.properties actually enable the various SPI implementations which are contained in the owb-plugins. E.g. if you have the webbeans-web plugin in the classpath another Lifecycle implementation will be used. But again, I bet WebSphere has their own integration and Lifecycle implementation.

Regarding the CODI bug in WebSphere you might either try the MyFaces list or contact IBM.

> Also how to configure OWB to run in a plain J2SE application vs inside WebSphere
> for example

Well, in general you should not really care about OWB if you run in WebSphere 8++. For older versions you can just package the various OWB stuff you need into the webapps WEB-INF/lib fonder as you would do for plain tomcat. Of course this would lack of CDI-EJB integration but apart from that most other stuff works perfectly fine. For an example you can see my ee sample project [1]. Some parts need version upgrades though...

> Window/CODI Conversation concepts of CODI
> and will be included in JSF 2.2 (aka webflow)

I think the JSF-2.2 flow is more like spring webflow. I have not looked at it in detail but I'm glad Ed dropped all the XML stuff again ;)
This will need some iterations until it is usable imo.

DeltaSpike will also contain the CODI scopes, this will take a bit though. So I'd recommend starting with CODI as we will provide an upgrade path to DeltaSpike.

LieGrue,
strub

[1] https://github.com/struberg/lightweightEE

Posted by Denis Forveille <de...@gmail.com>.