Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by "Croe.David" <cr...@inside-online.de> on 2016/08/01 10:39:13 UTC

embedded fonts an subsets

hi,
i would like to use a pdf as a template in which certain variables will be replaced.
If I create a template pdf via powerpoint or word and export it, it
only exports a pdf file with an embedded subset font.
This subset seems to contain only the characters already in the document and not all characters. How to fix that ? is it possible to reload the font and embed it fully , but how to know which font name correlates to which font file ? In ms office there seems to be no option to force to embed full fonts.

Any idea ?

best regards,
 david

[https://www.inside-online.de/mail/footer/anbieter_des_jahres.jpg]<http://www.inside-online.de/de/pressemeldungen-news/anbieter-des-jahres-2016.html?utm_source=Signatur&utm_medium=E-Mail&utm_campaign=Signatur-Anbieter-des-Jahres>
Danke an unsere Kunden für die Wahl zum Anbieter des Jahres 2016!
Kontaktieren Sie uns hier<http://www.inside-online.de/de/kontaktieren.html?utm_source=Signatur&utm_medium=E-Mail&utm_campaign=Signatur-Anbieter-des-Jahres> und erfahren Sie, warum uns unsere Kunden
zum Anbieter des Jahres gewählt haben.
Gerne sprechen wir auch über Ihr E-Learning-Projekt!

Re: embedded fonts an subsets

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.
Am 03.08.2016 um 09:03 schrieb Croe.David:
> thank you for fast reply,
>
>> This won't work due to different length / positions. PDF isn't HTML where positioning is done depending on the browser size and where you can easily insert a text into a paragraph.
> yes I know. I've to collect all Tj and TJ calculate positions and so on, of course not easy at all.
> but how to load the same font ? for example text would be rendered with font F1 .
> to load a font I need the corresponding filename. All I can extract is a font name (and family?) which doesn't have any informations which font file should be loaded again.
> How to fill the gap between font name and concrete font file names ? even if it should work on windows and unix/linux (Ubuntu) , or did i miss something?

But you told that you are creating the files yourself, so you'd know in
advance what fonts this is about. If not, then you'd need to make
yourself a table with names and os font file names.

Tilman

AW: embedded fonts an subsets

Posted by "Croe.David" <cr...@inside-online.de>.
thank you for fast reply,

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by "Croe.David" <cr...@inside-online.de>.

Posted by Tilman Hausherr <TH...@t-online.de>.

Posted by John Hewson <jo...@jahewson.com>.
> On 1 Aug 2016, at 03:39, Croe.David <cr...@inside-online.de> wrote:
>
> hi,
> i would like to use a pdf as a template in which certain variables will be replaced.
> If I create a template pdf via powerpoint or word and export it, it
> only exports a pdf file with an embedded subset font.
> This subset seems to contain only the characters already in the document and not all characters. How to fix that ? is it possible to reload the font and embed it fully , but how to know which font name correlates to which font file ? In ms office there seems to be no option to force to embed full fonts.

There’s a setting in MS Word called "Embed only the characters used in the document”, which is used to enable subsetting of fonts. I assume it’s turned on for you. Here’s a guide which mentions in (see page 2):

http://www.sheridan.com/sites/default/files/generating_pdf_from_ms_word_041713.pdf

— John