Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2007/07/11 00:49:08 UTC

10.3 branch backports...

Hi,

I realize I haven't said what I wanted to go on the 10.3 branch at this point.

I would like to minimize the changes to what has been identified as
critical issues at this point; once we have a release, the 'normal'
rules for backporting to a branch apply.

So, Kathey, if you could backport your fix for the grantRevoke test
fir DERBY-2893? *If* we need another candidate this fix should be in.

Dan, if you could hold your backport plans for your intended changes?
Same for Bryan and the fix for DERBY-2902; but you already said you'd
wait, thx...

Thx,
Myrna

Re: 10.3 branch backports...

Posted by Mike Matrigali <mi...@sbcglobal.net>.
I am happy to allow reasonable control by the release manager.  For
instance I think it is very reasonable if it makes their job easier - I
am very happy for the work they are doing.  For example I think it is
very reasonable for a release manager to ask for a  short hiatus
from the time they are trying to build/test a release candidate at point A
until they are done so that they can have exclusive access to fix stuff
before they can release at point B.  So they don't have to worry about
picking/choosing changes and have to retest because someone slipped in -
worst case they may never get done.  It is nice to be able to say the
release is the branch at point NNNNN - rather than have to say the
release is at point MMMMMM minus changes A, B and C.

After a release is cut I think we should count on committers and the
normal "branch" checkin protocol, and hope
they can be even more careful while we are in the release voting cycle.
But I think checking in test changes/fixes are very low risk.  I think
it would be even worse to ask to close a branch that was already
released, I am not as concerned about the 1st release of a branch as
it seems reasonable to allow the release coordinator control to match
the responsibility they have accepted to coordinate, coerce and shephard
  the release.

Re: 10.3 branch backports...

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Re: 10.3 branch backports...

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.

Re: 10.3 branch backports...

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 7/11/07, Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I realize I haven't said what I wanted to go on the 10.3 branch at this
> > point.
> >
> > I would like to minimize the changes to what has been identified as
> > critical issues at this point; once we have a release, the 'normal'
> > rules for backporting to a branch apply.
> >
> > So, Kathey, if you could backport your fix for the grantRevoke test
> > fir DERBY-2893? *If* we need another candidate this fix should be in.
>
> That actually wasn't a critical issue once it was resolved to be a test
> problem.
>
> > Dan, if you could hold your backport plans for your intended changes?
> > Same for Bryan and the fix for DERBY-2902; but you already said you'd
> > wait, thx...
>
> Why not allow these fixes in under normal branch backporting rules,
> especially now that blob/clob changes are apparently needed? Isn't
> better to have fixes in the release? Bryan's fix, for example is zero
> risk. Most of my changes would be to improve the testing, I would think
> carefully about putting the my changes for DERBY-2775 in since they are
> more widespread, but they will go into the branch at some point.
>
> One of the rules for a release is that it must not halt development,
> seems like not allowing fixes into a branch is halting development.
>
> Dan.

There's black, and white, and grey...There's must have, and might be nice...

One way to answer this, is to say, development continues on trunk, so
there's no halting of development.
Another point, is to ask what the purpose of the release cycle is, if
we're allowing *any* change to go in, which is what you seem to be
advocating (even when you're holding back on DERBY-2775).
What means 0 risk, how do we decide, what are the criteria, measurements?
(not that I'm contesting any particular issue).

I had hoped to do another 1 week VOTE period, if we accept more fixes
to go in the release, we may need to choose to block out more time,
and postpone the release further.
I'll be back in September, we could do a release then.

Myrna

Re: 10.3 branch backports...

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org>.