Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by William Wishon <bi...@pictureiq.com> on 2001/03/06 01:26:52 UTC

Assigning Servlets to different ports.

Hi,
	My goal is to be able to have different servlets mapped to "/" on different
ports.  I have not found any way to do this in server.xml, so I started
grep'ing and groveling through the code to find out more.  Now as far as I
can tell right now what I want to do is not possible using Tomcat 3.2.1.  My
question to this list is if anyone here can either show me what I've missed
and tell me how to configure Tomcat to do what I want.  Or if someone can
help me out by pointing me in the right direction in terms of patching the
3.2.1 sources to do what I want.  Perhaps this is now possible in the newer
versions of tomcat and I could back port a change.  Or ???  Any help is
greatly appreciated.

An example of what I'm trying to do is to have a GET on "/" of port 8080
return webapps/app1/index.html and a GET of "/" on port 8081 return
webapps/app2/index.html.

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Assigning Servlets to different ports.

Posted by Mel Martinez <me...@yahoo.com>.
There might be a more 'elegant' way but a simple brute
force solution is to create a simple dispatcher
servlet (or JSP) that does the following:

String host = request.getHeader("HOST");
String port = "80";
if(host.indexOf(":")>-1){
 port = host.substring(host.indexOf(":")+1);
}
//assume getDispatchMap() returns a map of
//ports to servlets, probably loaded from
//a configuration file or whatever
String target = (String)getDispatchMap().get(port);
RequestDispatcher rd =
context.getRequestDispatcher(target);
rd.forward(request,response);

That is a simple dispatcher pattern that should work.
The only thing you have to do is configure "/" to map
to the above servlet/jsp.  You can do that in a
variety of ways.

The usual caveates and disclaimers apply to the above
code...  :-)
Cheers,

Mel

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Assigning Servlets to different ports.

Posted by Shawn McMurdo <sh...@lutris.com>.
Hi Bill,
I would suggest grabbing the current Enhydra Enterprise source from CVS.
The ENHYDRA_4_0_B_1_BRANCH branch is the branch
for the beta release that is coming any day now.
There have been significant changes since alpha4.

If you are interested in how it is done look at the source in
EE/services/Web/modules/ServletContiner/src/org/enhydra/servlet/servletManager/ServletManager.java

in particular.

If you want to see it in action, start the multiserver and access
http://localhost:8001/ for the admin app and
http://localhost:8004/ for the root war that leads to the tomcat examples.

Hope that helps.
Shawn

Posted by Shawn McMurdo <sh...@lutris.com>.
Hi Costin,
I will be very interested to learn more about the ProfileLoader
and Tomcat 3.3 in general.
I hope to have more time to bang on TC3.3 and TC4.0 after
Enhydra Enterprise 4.0 is released.
Shawn

Posted by Chris Pepper <pe...@mail.reppep.com>.
At 12:35 PM -0800 2001/03/06, cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

>If what you want to do is support virtual hosts - tomcat supports
>virtual hosts using a single ContextManager ( the contextManager is a
>representation for a "server" that may have multiple hosts).
>
>There is no special representation for Host ( as a top-level object ) -
>each Context belongs to a virtual host, and the mapper is routing the
>requests. You can add additional modules to filter or do other tricks.
>( just use Context.getHost() or getHostAliases() ).

Costin,

	I see I can bind specific servlets to a host by name, but how
can I bind to a specific port? I want my webapp only available via
SSL, and a single homepage on port 80, redirecting users to port 443
to really use the site.

>There are cases when multiple ContextManagers may help - for example if
>the servers have very different configuration ( i.e. top-level modules
>for mapping, etc).
>
>In 3.3 ( with the experimental ProfileLoader ) you can push all the
>modules as per/context interceptors, i.e. separate sets of
>modules for each web application - what's shared is the config modules
>and the top-level mapper. That means even fewer reasons to have multiple
>ContextManagers.

	I'm using 3.2.1 -- does 3.3 add the capability to bind
servlets/webapps to individual ports?

>IMHO if what you want to do requires changes/fixes in tomcat, you should
>try tomcat 3.3, where it is still possible to do this kind of change
>( assuming it's not too big ). For 3.2.2 I don't think this can be
>clasified as a critical bug, and I don't think Marc would enjoy it :-)

						Thanks,

						Chris Pepper

--
Chris Pepper:                   <http://www.reppep.com/~pepper/>
Rockefeller U Computing Services:  <http://www.rockefeller.edu/>

RE: Assigning Servlets to different ports.

Posted by William Wishon <bi...@pictureiq.com>.
Costin,

> If what you want to do is support virtual hosts - tomcat supports
> virtual hosts using a single ContextManager ( the contextManager is a
> representation for a "server" that may have multiple hosts).

I don't mind using virtual hosts, but they don't do what I'm looking for.  I
have two servlets, one provides a public service and the other is the
configuration and administration of that public service.  I want to have the
root "/" of port 8080 go to the publicly available servlet.  Then using
firewalling rules allow access to port 8081 only from the local network.
"/" on port 8081 would go to the administration servlet.  The problem with
virtual hosting as implemented in Tomcat 3.2.1 is that both virtual hosts
and their contexts are available on both ports.  That exposes the
administration functionallity to the public and I don't want that.

> There is no special representation for Host ( as a top-level object ) -
> each Context belongs to a virtual host, and the mapper is routing the
> requests. You can add additional modules to filter or do other tricks.
> ( just use Context.getHost() or getHostAliases() ).
>
> If you want to isolate applications/hosts - using separate VMs may give
> you more benefits.

I can't use multiple VM's because the administration servlet 'talks' to the
other servlet by changing it's in memory configuration.

Ideally what I am looking for is something like:

<Context path="/" docBase="/webapps/PublicService" port="8080">
<Context path="/" docBase="/webapps/AdminService" port="8081">

I'm begining to think I could modify (or subclass) Context.java to have a
port property, then create a new mapper like SimpleMapper1 that looks at the
request and looks at the contexts port property and enforces the separation.
Does that sound about right?

> IMHO if what you want to do requires changes/fixes in tomcat, you should
> try tomcat 3.3, where it is still possible to do this kind of change
> ( assuming it's not too big ). For 3.2.2 I don't think this can be
> clasified as a critical bug, and I don't think Marc would enjoy it :-)

I'm not trying make any more work for anyone else, I'm just trying to get
some advice on how the code works and where to begin my changes.  Because
stability is important to me I am more willing to make a (hopefully small)
patch against 3.2.1 than to 'upgrade' to the more unstable 3.3 code.  I
would, however, be willing to back port some changes if 3.3 had this
functionallity, but from what I could gather 3.3 is also missing this
ability.

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.

Posted by William Wishon <bi...@pictureiq.com>.
Shawn,