Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com> on 2005/04/04 22:29:06 UTC

Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

The Apache Portals Jetspeed Team is pleased to announce the second
milestone release of Jetspeed-2.

The release is available for download from the Apache Download Mirrors:

http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi

Follow the links to portals/jetspeed-2

Two binary releases are provided.

1. Jetspeed-2 + Tomcat 5.0.30 distribution.
2. Jetspeed-2 + Tomcat 5.5.8 distribution.

With this second milestone of Jetspeed-2, new versions of the
Portals Bridges components are released as well. These components are
now all upgraded to version 0.2. Portals Bridges can be used
independently of Jetspeed-2 and will eventually migrate to its own
Portals Bridges project.

Bridges released with M2:

* Struts Bridge 0.2
* Velocity Bridge 0.2
* JSF Bridge 0.2
* Perl Bridge 0.2
* PHP Bridge 0.2
* Portlet Framework 0.2

--------------------------
  Jetspeed 2.0-M2 Release
    April 4, 2005
--------------------------

* PALM - Portlet Application Lifecycle Manager
   A new administrative portlet for managing the lifecycle of portlet
   applications. Supports start, stop, undeploy and delete operations.

* JBoss Support
    Jetspeed tested and running on JBoss versions 3.2.7 and 4.0.1sp1

* New Improved Deployment
    Deployment overhauled to support application server
    controlled deployment. Class loader and cross-context session control
    issues resolved.

* Struts Bridge Enhancements

* Navigations Refactoring

* Enhanced credential security and validation,
   Login/Password Enhancements

* LDAP Authentication support added.

* Secure Access to Site Resources (Pages, Folders)

* Profiler, Layout, PSML Security Documentation

* SSO Enhancements

* Improved JSF Support

* Finer grain Spring configuration

* Main Jetspeed context no longer requires /jetspeed

-----------
Bug fixes
-----------
see M2-bugfixes.html

---------------------
  Tested App Servers:
---------------------
  * Tomcat 5.0.30
  * Tomcat 5.5.8
  * JBoss 3.2.7
  * JBoss 4.0.1sp1

  (Tomcat 5.5 requires a different jetspeed.xml found in the source tree
under src/resources/jetspeed-tomcat-5.5.xml)

  Check out our wiki page for details:
http://wiki.apache.org/portals/Jetspeed2

---------------------
  NO Longer Supported:
---------------------
  * Tomcat 4.1.x

Support for Tomcat 4.1.x has been dropped.

---------------------------
  Installation Instructions
---------------------------

1. Download jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-5.0.30.tar.gz, or
    Download jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-5.0.30.zip (windows), or
    Download jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-5.5.8.tar.gz, or
    Download jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-5.5.8.zip (windows)
2. Expand jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-<version>.tar.gz into a clean directory
(as example we will use 'jetspeed')

    cd /jetspeed
    tar xfz jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-<version>.tar.gz

    For Windows:

    cd c:\jetspeed
    unzip jetspeed-2.0-M2-Tomcat-<version>.zip

3. start the database

    cd /jetspeed/jetspeed-database
    start-database.sh

    For Windows:

    cd c:\jetspeed\jetspeed-database
    start-database.bat

4. startup Tomcat

    execute /jetspeed/jakarta-tomcat-<version>/bin/startup.sh

    For Windows:

    execute c:\jetspeed\jakarta-tomcat-<version>\bin\startup.bat

5. start up a web browser and navigate to
http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal

------------------------------
  Configuring Another Database
------------------------------

1. cd $TOMCAT_HOME/jetspeed-database/scripts
2. edit the build.properties, set the properties for your database
connection, save.
3. create a database schema/catalog to hold your database tables
4. type 'ant' to run the database population scripts
5. edit the jetspeed.xml properties
     - $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/jetspeed.xml

     and set your database connection

6. copy your database driver into Tomcat's common/endorsed directory

7. start up a web browser, navigate to http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal

  Sample accounts to login as:

  admin/admin
  manager/manager
  user/user

--------------------------------
  Upgrading from Jetspeed 2.0 M1
--------------------------------
If you are upgrading an installation from Jetspeed 2.0 M1,
remember to delete the M1 jar files found under Tomcat's shared/lib
directory. The following files should be deleted:

jetspeed-api-2.0-M1.jar
jetspeed-commons-2.0-M1.jar
pluto-1.0.1-rc1.jar
portals-bridges-common-0.1.jar

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Hema Menon <me...@gmail.com>.
Ate,

Thanks. I've been building it from J2_deployment_refactoring branch.
Since you have already merged it, I will try to build it from the CVS
head later today. Will report if I run into any problems.

Thanks,
Hema

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Hema Menon <me...@gmail.com>.

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Jouni Rajala wrote:
> Well i am using cvs head version now and like continue using
> it. That way i can change version easily.
>
> it is just that i don't know how to check out certain version or branch
> with maven.
Then take a look at http://maven.apache.org/reference/plugins/scm/
It only supports cvs and thus should work for Jetspeed-2 right now.
But, we're going to move to subversion soon and then you need another solution again.

Most users and the Jetspeed-2 team members use Eclipse for working with Jetspeed-2 though
and its very easy to checkout the source using its cvs plugin (or subclipse plugin for subversion).

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.

Jouni Rajala wrote:
> I am bit new to maven. Is it possible to check out this
> milestone version with maven somehow. If it is could
> you provide me exact command line :)
If you're after the source so you can build it and work on yourself
then it might be easier to download the source distribution for Jetspeed-2.0-M2.

You can download it from the same Apache Download Mirrors as indicated in the
announcement. Then follow the links to portals/jetspeed-2/SOURCES.
You will find the jetspeed-2.0-M2-src.zip/tar.gz distributions there.

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Jouni Rajala <jo...@systeemiratkaisu.fi>.

Re: Jetspeed 2.0 M2 Released

Posted by Serge Huber <sh...@jahia.com>.