Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org> on 2003/07/14 16:46:48 UTC

Out going AUTH

Regarding the outgoing use of SMTP AUTH for gateways, I think this should be
pretty simple to add if anyone has the time, it should be a matter of adding
the server and its credentials to the session and getting a transport using
the URL, which will then use AUTH if credentials are available.

d.

RE: Out going AUTH

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
woops meant this for the developers list, sorry.

RE: Out going AUTH

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny wrote:
> No I was merely observing that AUTH seems designed to identify people
> who may be permitted, not machines.

Actually, I was re-reading http://james.apache.org/rfclist/smtp/rfc2554.txt.
It can be used to authenticate one SMTP server to another.  Then the sending
server can use:

   MAIL FROM: <fr...@shire.me> AUTH=frodo@shire.me

to indicate that it authenticated frodo (or trusts a server that had
similarly relayed for an authenticated sender).  According to RFC 2554
section 5, if James cannot authenticate the sender, and wants to relay using
SMTP AUTH, then after authenticating itself, James should use:

   MAIL FROM: <fr...@shire.me> AUTH=<>

to indicate that frodo@shire.me was not authenticated.  It is permissible to
use AUTH=<>, and never authenticate senders.

> Also that it is possible to associate credentials with outward hosts in
> javamail therfore it should be straightforward to associate ONE set of
> credentials with a gateway in RemoteDelivery.

Perhaps not so straightforward.  JavaMail's SMTP transport doesn't appear to
support the MAIL FROM AUTH= extension.  A gateway server would have to be
configured to specifically trust the connecting James server, and credit the
sender as if authenticated.  That could be a bad idea, because mail being
delivered from a non-trusted sender intended for a local user, from a
trusted sender wanting to relay, and from a non-trusted sender trying to
relay, would be indistinguishable.

Something to pass onto Bill Shannon, and a simple change (JavaMail already
supports a similar extension, MAIL FROM RET=), but I'm afraid that we may
have missed the window to get it into JavaMail.

	--- Noel

RE: Out going AUTH

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.

RE: Out going AUTH

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Danny,

> Regarding the outgoing use of SMTP AUTH for gateways,
> it should be a matter of adding the server and its
> credentials to the session

You want a authenticate a SERVER identity, as opposed to a SENDER identity?

My thought had been that Vincenzo is working on getting Soren's mail
attributes integrated into James (v2 and HEAD) now.  Once we have those, I
had thought that we could preserve the sender's SMTP AUTH information.

	--- Noel