Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Edward Sargisson <ed...@globalrelay.net> on 2012/08/04 00:25:06 UTC

Node doesn't rejoin ring after restart

Hi all,
I'm testing our procedures for handling some Cassandra failure scenarios
and I'm not understanding something.

I'm testing on a 3 node cluster with a replication_factor of 3.
I stopped one of the nodes for 5 or so minutes and run some application
tests. Everything was fine.

Then I started cassandra on that node again and it refuses to re-join
the ring. It can see itself as up but not the other nodes. The other
nodes can see themselves but don't see it as up.

I deliberately haven't followed any of the token replacement methods
outlined in the docs. I'm working on the assumption that a small outage
on one node shouldn't cause extraordinary action.

Nor do I want to have to stop every node before bringing them up one by one.

What am I missing? Am I forced into those time consuming methods every
time I want to restart?

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Edward

--

Edward Sargisson

senior java developer
Global Relay

edward.sargisson@globalrelay.net <ma...@globalrelay.net>

*866.484.6630*
New York | Chicago | Vancouver | London (+44.0800.032.9829) | Singapore
(+65.3158.1301)

Global Relay Archive supports email, instant messaging, BlackBerry,
Bloomberg, Thomson Reuters, Pivot, YellowJacket, LinkedIn, Twitter,
Facebook and more.

Ask about *Global Relay Message*
<http://www.globalrelay.com/services/message>*--- *The Future of
Collaboration in the Financial Services World

*
*All email sent to or from this address will be retained by Global
Relay's email archiving system. This message is intended only for the
use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law.  Global Relay will not be liable for
any compliance or technical information provided herein. All trademarks
are the property of their respective owners.

Re: Node doesn't rejoin ring after restart

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
Make sure that your seed list is the same for every node.  Just pick two of
the three nodes and use those as the seeds everywhere.

If that's not the issue, check your cassandra log to see if there are any
exceptions during startup.

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>