Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net> on 2009/03/25 10:29:11 UTC

best way to add tooltips in wicket

Hello,

i'm quite new to Wicket, and i'm trying to see what is the most common way
of adding tooltip texts to for example a Label in wicket.

I did find the 10-point-wiki about tooltips
(http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/how-to-add-tooltips.html), which seemed
quite complicated to me, so I thought i'd go and look if there was a
smoother way.

I found the dojo-package which seemed ok at first, but when i looked at the
tutorial page
(http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/DojoTutorials), it
noted all the tooltip-related sections as "obsolete", but no further
indication as to why this is the case...

Can anybody help me out a bit here? Can I use dojo, or is there something
better that people use, that hopefully is pretty easy to set up in my wicket
project?

Thankful for pointers.

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by CrocodileShoes <ma...@googlemail.com>.
I know on mootips you can create a Moosettings object where you can specify
the css class.  You can then add those settings to the mootip.

I did a quick experiment before and it seemed change the style to the new
class defined in my apps css file.

Surely Prototips has something similar?

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by Roman Zechner <ro...@Liland.at>.
have a look at "sweet titles"

http://www.dustindiaz.com/sweet-titles/

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
very strange i'll look into it soon, when I get the app thats gonna
use it up to 1.4

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roy

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Have you tried using overLIB?  I've got some code if you're interested.

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.
Hi Nino,

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.
OK folks, regarding this tooltip business....

we've ended up using prototip for a while now, and while it works, we're not
very happy with some of the quirks.

More specifically, there are two odd things i'd label as bugs if i was sure
that i hadn't done something wrong myself...

1. When you hover over a prototip-configured div and do an alt-tab, the
tooltip stays and doesn't go away unless you tab back into the browser,
hover the mouse over the div again and then move out.

2. Same thing happens when you have a prototip for an image link and click
on it, the tooltip stays even though the window the div belongs to loses
focus.

Anybody has experienced anything similar? Any way around it? Input
appreciated...

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.
Allright... i don't think i fetch it with ajax, but it doesn't matter.

One other thing though - i couldn't see that it was possible to create a
MooTip without a header, is that so? I couldn't see that there was a way to

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.

Posted by Rene Peters <re...@hotmail.com>.
Hi there,

I am trying to use mootips with mixed success. I've added it to a label on
my page but when I run it I get an alert box saying "Unable to get the value
of the property 'msDropDown': object is null or undefined".

It seams like a javacript error but I really have no idea about the how and
why. Googling didn't help much either. Does anyone has an idea about what is
wrong?

Kind regards,

René

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by Rodrigo Heffner <ro...@gmail.com>.
Don't worry about the synchronization of markup ids. Inside my
"populateItem" method I did:

Label moreInfo = new Label("more-info", "more-info");
                moreInfo.setOutputMarkupId(true);
                moreInfo.setMarkupId("more-info" + listItem.getIndex());

and the same thing with the WebMarkupContainer.

--
Rodrigo H M Bezerra

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by Rodrigo Heffner <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thank you.

<ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Cant remember what the mootip panel are doing..
>
> heres the link for the source though:
>
> https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/jdk-1.5-parent/minis-parent/minis/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/minis/mootipbehavior/
>

> 2011/7/12 Rodrigo Heffner <ro...@gmail.com>:
>> Thanks again, Martin.
>>
>> I realised earlier that the below only renders the default browser
>> title attribute, so no CSS editing for it:
>>
>> add(new Label("tooltip01", "this is tool tip 01").add(new MootipBehaviour(
>> "This is my tool tip",
>> "I can be very long and even have formatting like <br /> and be
>> <strong>strong</strong>")));
>>
>> Then I tried the following code, but I can't find the class MooPanel:
>>
>> MootipSettings mooSettings = new MootipSettings();
>> mooSettings.setEvalAlways(true);
>> MootipBehaviour behaviour = new MootipBehaviour(new MooPanel());
>> behaviour.setMootipSettings(mooSettings);
>>
>> add(new Label("tooltip02", "this is tool tip 02").add(behaviour));
>>
>> My dependency for this is:
>>
>> <dependency>
>> � � � � � �<groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
>> � � � � � �<artifactId>minis</artifactId>
>> � � � � � �<version>1.4.15</version>
>> � � � � � �<type>jar</type>
>> </dependency>
>>
>> Any ideas, anyone?
>>
>> Sorry for all the questions
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> I guess MootipBehavior should deliver this CSS as PackageResourceReference
>>> I have no experience with Mootip...

>>> --
>>> Martin Grigorov
>>> jWeekend
>>> Training, Consulting, Development
>>> http://jWeekend.com

>> --
>> Rodrigo H M Bezerra

Rodrigo H M Bezerra

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rodrigo Heffner <ro...@gmail.com>.
Thanks again, Martin.

I realised earlier that the below only renders the default browser
title attribute, so no CSS editing for it:

add(new Label("tooltip01", "this is tool tip 01").add(new MootipBehaviour(
"This is my tool tip",
"I can be very long and even have formatting like <br /> and be
<strong>strong</strong>")));

Then I tried the following code, but I can't find the class MooPanel:

MootipSettings mooSettings = new MootipSettings();
mooSettings.setEvalAlways(true);
MootipBehaviour behaviour = new MootipBehaviour(new MooPanel());
behaviour.setMootipSettings(mooSettings);

add(new Label("tooltip02", "this is tool tip 02").add(behaviour));

My dependency for this is:

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.wicketstuff</groupId>
            <artifactId>minis</artifactId>
            <version>1.4.15</version>
            <type>jar</type>
</dependency>

Any ideas, anyone?

Sorry for all the questions

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:42 PM, rodrigo.bezerra
> <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thank you very much, Martin.
>>
>> I'm using something very similar to the example:
>>
>> add(new Label("tooltip01", "this is tool tip 01").add(new MootipBehaviour(
>> "This is my tool tip",
>> "I can be very long and even have formatting like <br /> and be
>> <strong>strong</strong>")));
>>
>> Two questions:
>> - Where can I edit the Tooltip's CSS? As of now, I see a squared box with a
>> yellow background.
> I guess MootipBehavior should deliver this CSS as PackageResourceReference
>> - Can I set some setting so I can select the text inside the tooltip? When I
>> move my mouse in the direction of the tooltip, it disappears.
> I have no experience with Mootip...
>>
>> Again, thank you for your help and prompt response.
>>
>> --

> Martin Grigorov
> jWeekend
> Training, Consulting, Development
> http://jWeekend.com

Rodrigo H M Bezerra

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
See https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.5-parent/minis-parent/minis-examples/src/main/java/org/wicketstuff/minis/MooTipPage.java
The impl is in https://github.com/wicketstuff/core/blob/master/jdk-1.5-parent/minis
It is available in Maven repos too.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
If I remember correctly modal windows has max z-index that can be
defined, so it's hard to set the tooltip over.. But one could
overwrite the style for the modal window... But is likely to have been
changed since wicket 1.3..

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
fix its zIndex css property

Posted by "tapas.23571113" <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefan Lindner <li...@visionet.de>.

Posted by Stephen Swinsburg <s....@lancaster.ac.uk>.
I made my own IconWithToolTip component that renders an icon with a
jQuery cluetip on hover. Takes advantage of all the neat jQuery
extensions like hoverIntent (did they really meant to hover or did
they just wave the mouse around).

Welcome to the source if you'd like it.

cheers,
Steve

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Ok thanks about the pointer, I correct the url.. I forgot todo it
after minis was adopted into wicketstuff core

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by JulianS <js...@yahoo.com>.

RoyBatty wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i'm quite new to Wicket, and i'm trying to see what is the most common way
> of adding tooltip texts to for example a Label in wicket.
>
> I did find the 10-point-wiki about tooltips
> (http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/how-to-add-tooltips.html), which seemed
> quite complicated to me, so I thought i'd go and look if there was a
> smoother way.
>
> I found the dojo-package which seemed ok at first, but when i looked at
> the tutorial page
> (http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/DojoTutorials), it
> noted all the tooltip-related sections as "obsolete", but no further
> indication as to why this is the case...
>
> Can anybody help me out a bit here? Can I use dojo, or is there something
> better that people use, that hopefully is pretty easy to set up in my
> wicket project?
>
> Thankful for pointers.

I found it very easy to add jQuery tooltips to Wicket. See my example at
http://javathoughts.capesugarbird.com/2009/02/adding-jquery-tooltips-to-wicket-pages.html.

Julian

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hehe, we have several ways of doing it...

Theres two in wicketstuff minies.. ProtoTip and Mootip, both can do many
things.. The mootip has an example page for you aswell..

You can see the video at the end of this article for a small demo:

http://ninomartinez.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/apache-wicket-javascript-integration/

regards Nino

Posted by CrocodileShoes <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Wow, it really is that easy!

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
I think this is pretty simple aswell :

add(new Label("tooltip01", "this is tool tip 01")
				.add(new MootipBehaviour(
						"This is my tool tip",
						"I can be very long and even have formatting like <br /> and be
<strong>strong</strong>")));

And if you need something more it just uses panels..

add(new MootipPanel());

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
no you should use this one for 1.4

http://wicketstuff.org/maven/repository/org/wicketstuff/wicketstuff-minis/1.4.0-SNAPSHOT/

But it should be the result of this one :

https://wicket-stuff.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/wicket-stuff/trunk/wicketstuff-core/minis-parent/

Im not sure where Jeremys server deploy to...

Posted by CrocodileShoes <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by CrocodileShoes <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Does anybody have any thoughts or preferences with regards to Mootips and
Prototips?

I've briefly glanced at both and Prototip seems to offer more settings, e.g.
sticky tips, close buttons etc

Re: best way to add tooltips in wicket

Posted by RoyBatty <ma...@afjochnick.net>.
hey, thanks for all the input guys.

I have already downloaded the 1.4 one and started playing with it according
to the examples.

I'm using prototip, it works like a charm!