Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/10 09:58:08 UTC

Sending .patch

Hi Everyone,

As told I opened an Infra ticket to fix sending .patch to dev@ list.

That was the response I received:

"  [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19691?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17012638#comment-17012638
]

Sebb commented on INFRA-19691:
------------------------------

The content-type will depend on the mail client.

I just tried with GMail, and it sent the file test.txt as

whereas test.patch resulted in:

==

However, it's usually not ideal to send patches to mailing lists.
Better to use an issue tracking system."

Then he just Closed the ticket with the resolution: Information Provided

BR,

Alan

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

On 1/27/20, Dave Marples <da...@marples.net> wrote:

> Yes, I saw that, but a patch probably should be an octet-stream since we
> can't be certain what character set it's sent in. Does that mean this is
> a 'won't fix'?

Yes, Apache INFRA doesn't allow octect-stream attachments.

BR,

Alan

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 7:22 PM Dave Marples <da...@marples.net> wrote:

> On 28/01/2020 00:11, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:
> > The issue is because GMail and some email servers/clients will convert
> > the patch to octet-stream, please see the discussion here:

> Yes, I saw that, but a patch probably should be an octet-stream since we
> can't be certain what character set it's sent in.

Does this mean that our instructions should say to send all patches in UTF8
in addition to using .txt extension?

And if so, what git incantation will do that?

Nathan

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Dave Marples <da...@marples.net>.
On 28/01/2020 00:11, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> The issue is because GMail and some email servers/clients will convert
> the patch to octet-stream, please see the discussion here:

> BR,
>
> Alan

Yes, I saw that, but a patch probably should be an octet-stream since we
can't be certain what character set it's sent in. Does that mean this is
a 'won't fix'?

Regards

DAVE

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Alan Carvalho de Assis <ac...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dave,

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Dave Marples <da...@marples.net>.

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
>>> As told I opened an Infra ticket to fix sending .patch to dev@ list.
>>>
>>> That was the response I received:
>>>
>>> "  [
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-19691?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=17012638#comment-17012638
>>> ]
>>>
>>> Sebb commented on INFRA-19691:
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> The content-type will depend on the mail client.
>>>
>>> I just tried with GMail, and it sent the file test.txt as
>>>
>>> whereas test.patch resulted in:
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> However, it's usually not ideal to send patches to mailing lists.
>>> Better to use an issue tracking system."
>>>
>>> Then he just Closed the ticket with the resolution: Information Provided
>> So, will this be fixed or not? Tools are there to support users and
>> throwing away patches because the tools are sulky doesn't sound like
>> very support-y to me?

Apache email support is very limited

An option is to attach patches to Issues in the github incubator-nuttx
Issue list.

Re: Sending .patch

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Sending .patch