Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/04 22:33:37 UTC

[PROPOSAL-NL LISTS]

When we managed the NL lists on OOo, I set up a policy page,
http://native-lang.openoffice.org/ . It described far more than I
wanted, as I prefer non bureaucratic simplicity and mechanisms that
nudge one into conversation, but it was also useful.

I suggest the same now.

A page on the wiki that simply lays out the sinequanons and what to do
to set up a NL list; and if that list has a regional component to it.

My interest here is to foster communication, to encourage promulgation
and hands-on learning, to get ecosystems and participatory communities
going, not to drag people down in the mud of anxious policy. (Not that
anyone is doing that here, I hasten to add.)

Cheers
Louis

Re: [PROPOSAL-NL LISTS]

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Hi

On 4 May 2012 16:41, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When we managed the NL lists on OOo, I set up a policy page,
>> http://native-lang.openoffice.org/ . It described far more than I
>> wanted, as I prefer non bureaucratic simplicity and mechanisms that
>> nudge one into conversation, but it was also useful.
>>
>> I suggest the same now.
>>

> Have you seen this page?
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/native-lang.html

Now I have.

> Maybe that could be enhanced?

Let's see. I can add my policy views and keep it real simple but I've
done this more than once before and would really prefer to see others'
take, too--besides that which is already there.

-louis

(I even named the "native-lang" before… sigh…. the more things change,
well, that's a bore.)

Re: [PROPOSAL-NL LISTS]

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: [PROPOSAL-NL LISTS]

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
Ariel,
Rob already pointed me to the wiki; thanks for more. See below.

On 4 May 2012 16:45, Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org> wrote:
>> My interest here is to foster communication, to encourage promulgation
>> and hands-on learning, to get ecosystems and participatory communities
>> going, not to drag people down in the mud of anxious policy. (Not that
>> anyone is doing that here, I hasten to add.)
>
> I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Proposing the mailing list
> is rather simple, no rocket-science, nor "anxious policy": do the
> proposal (examples have already been pointed), open a JIRA issue (in
> this case, re-open it).

actually, I'm not proposing anything other than what you itemized. The
issue is rather to underscore that legacy policy is not applied here,
that this is a new effort. As I was one of the creators of the N-L
system, I'm always concerned that the past does not shadow the present
and future. That's all.
Cheers,
Louis

Re: [PROPOSAL-NL LISTS]

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 04:33:37PM -0400, Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> When we managed the NL lists on OOo, I set up a policy page,
> http://native-lang.openoffice.org/ . It described far more than I
> wanted, as I prefer non bureaucratic simplicity and mechanisms that
> nudge one into conversation, but it was also useful.
>
> I suggest the same now.
>
> A page on the wiki that simply lays out the sinequanons and what to do
> to set up a NL list; and if that list has a regional component to it.

This is already done:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Native+Language+Projects
http://incubator.apache.org/openofficeorg/native-lang.html

It has already been discussed what to do with
http://www.openoffice.org/native-lang/ IMO we should remove all old and
obsolete content, and simply replace it with the information quoted
above

> My interest here is to foster communication, to encourage promulgation
> and hands-on learning, to get ecosystems and participatory communities
> going, not to drag people down in the mud of anxious policy. (Not that
> anyone is doing that here, I hasten to add.)

I'm not sure what you're talking about here. Proposing the mailing list
is rather simple, no rocket-science, nor "anxious policy": do the
proposal (examples have already been pointed), open a JIRA issue (in
this case, re-open it).

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile